French cafe offers discounts to polite customers
Sign outside Côte d'Azur establishment lists price of coffee as €7 but 'Bonjour, un café, s'il vous plaît' costs only €1.40
Kim Willsher in Paris
The Guardian, Wednesday 11 December 2013 13.28 GMT
Jump to comments (277)
The menu outside the Petite Syrah in Nice
The menu outside the Petite Syrah in Nice. Photograph: NiceMatin Resistance via Twitter
A cafe on the French Riviera has gained international notoriety after reminding customers to mind their manners.
What started as a local joke generated an internet buzz this week after a diner tweeted the sign outside the Petite Syrah in Nice on the Côte d'Azur.
In an attempt to turn the tables on customers who complain that serving staff are rude, the manager warned he would hit impolite customers where it hurts, in the pocket.
A sign outside the establishment states:
"Un café - €7 [£5.90]
"Un café s'il vous plaît - €4.25
"Bonjour, un café, s'il vous plaît - €1.40."
Having lit the blue touchpaper, I shall now retire to a safe distance.....
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://www.drozhealthblog.com/cla-safflower-oil/
- 2 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 3 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 4 Visit to France
- 5 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 6 Which Area in London?
- 7 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 8 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 9 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 10 family trip to Germany and more
- 11 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 12 Trains - website?
- 13 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 14 Paris Apartment
- 15 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 16 Barcelona to Malaga
- 17 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 18 Milan airport--which one
- 19 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 20 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 21 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 22 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 23 1st time to Europe
- 24 Paris November 2017
- 25 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?