Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   French Bread (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/french-bread-173498/)

Ruth Mar 17th, 2002 01:37 PM

French Bread

Does the US Government have any rules about bringing French bread into the country. I sure want to bring some back for my family to enjoy but don't want to wind up in jail. Has anyone tried it? How about pastry?

carol Mar 17th, 2002 01:46 PM

Unless it's rye bread, I think by the time you get it here, it would no longer be too fresh.

Rex Mar 17th, 2002 01:47 PM

You can bring it - - but your best results will be if you are flying on the Concorde. It just isn't the same after about 12 hours.<BR><BR>Back in the oven for 5 minutes can help rejuvenate it a little bit - - but not much beyond the next day.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

xxx3 Mar 17th, 2002 01:48 PM

According to this USDA booklet, bread is OK. But it's true that French bread doesn't keep very well, I'd try wrapping it in plastic even though at home i'd never do that.<BR><BR>http://www.aphis.usda.gov/oa/travel.html#list

Clara Mar 17th, 2002 02:40 PM

can anyone tell me the difference between French bread & Italian bread?

Rex Mar 17th, 2002 04:51 PM

At the risk of over-simplifying - - and offending a few people - - it's like the difference between gold and base metal.<BR>

Sue Mar 17th, 2002 05:33 PM

I bought a loaf at Poilane and brought it home the next day; as others have said, it is best eaten day it is baked. Pastries might fare a bit better.

Alec Mar 17th, 2002 05:54 PM

Both French and Italian bread (most varieties) is not meant to be kept beyond the day it was baked, as it contains little yeast. But you can sometimes revive it by popping into a microwave for around 20 sec.

jb Mar 17th, 2002 06:36 PM

my old boyfriend's mom was French. She used wipe a little water on a loaf of stale French bread and pop it in the toaster oven to refresh it.

mimi taylor Mar 17th, 2002 06:46 PM

Yes, Ruth you may! That said, the famous Poilane Bread is flown in daily, availabe in N.Y. and here in Boston

xxx Mar 17th, 2002 06:51 PM

Dampen a dish towel with water, wring out, then wrap around the bread and microwave full power for one minute (for a full size loaf).<BR>

ron Mar 17th, 2002 07:03 PM

I can't believe people are suggesting to put french bread brought from Europe in a micro-wave. I wouldn't even subject plain old Wonderbread to the micro-wave, as once any bread warmed up in a microwave cools down you can use it for patio blocks. Micro-waving is the worst thing in my opinion on how to revive bread. My vote goes to putting it in the toaster on a very light setting. <BR><BR>And for Rex, I would rather eat Italian base metal than the amalgamation of flour, water and what-ever-else goes into that American stuff sold as bread in super markets.<BR><BR>Ron<BR>

Rex Mar 17th, 2002 07:19 PM

&lt;&lt;Rex, I would rather eat Italian base metal than the amalgamation of flour, water and what-ever-else goes into that American stuff sold as bread in super markets.&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Yes, I agree.<BR><BR>On the other hand, I think that every "euro-dite" has a duty and obligation to God, country and self to find someone in his/her own local community who can make some decent bread.<BR><BR>We have a good French baker here in Columbus. Will I share the name? Heck no. You have to come join in on one of my European grocery tours! &lt;wink...&gt;<BR><BR>

x Mar 17th, 2002 10:21 PM

German bread is best !

Philip Mar 18th, 2002 06:40 AM

You wouldn't get thrown in jail for bringing in bread. (Only if there were drugs or other illegal substances in it). Worst case scenario is that they would take your bread and maybe do a thorough search of your luggage.

wendy Mar 18th, 2002 08:14 AM

My fiance owns a French bakery and bakes the breads, so I regulary transport 'pain ancienne' and 'pain au chocolat' with me in Ziploc bags after having squeezed as much air out as possible b/c the cabin pressure hurts both breads and pastries.

top Mar 18th, 2002 08:42 AM

to the top<BR>

xxx Mar 18th, 2002 01:20 PM

Ron, have you ever wrapped a full loaf of French bread in a wet, but wrung out dish towel and then microwaved it for one minute? If you haven't, then don't knock it. It comes out as close to fresh as you can get. Toasted french bread is quite another thing.

back into Mar 18th, 2002 05:41 PM

trying to refresh, one more time<BR>

Tom Mar 18th, 2002 08:25 PM

Do others agree that French bread is all that much better than Italian bread?<BR>