Search

FRENCH B & B's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:48 PM
TUCK

FRENCH B & B's

Are non-listed, sign-posted, family-run, farmhouse-type, B&B's to be frequently found, in rural France?

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:29 PM
Rex

Yes, I would say so. They typically say &quot;Chambres d'hotes&quot; (guest rooms).<BR><BR>And of course, there are listings and postings on the internet, so you could havea list of choices in hand for areas you know you are going to visit.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:20 PM
TUCK

Thanks, Rex. I'm very much aware of the net listings and because we'd like to 'vagabond', with no set itinerary, I'm seeking advice on the wisdom of not making reservations (traveling in June/July) in Brittany and Dordogne areas.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:35 PM
jules

Tuck, to reply to your first question, they are plentiful. You'll see signs with &quot;Chambre &agrave; louer&quot;, just &quot;Chambre&quot;, or &quot;G&icirc;te&quot; all along the roads. Also most tourist boards have listings and the owners can call in daily if they have space.<BR>For June, you can risk it. For July, when school is out, I would say it is tricky. Hit the road late morning, so you can find a place where someone just checked out. <BR>Good luck &amp; bon voyage!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:37 PM
mimi

Tuck, my yearly trip is part serendipity, and have a great time at these accidental places. The farm houses are posted on the roads as Auberge ferme.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:31 PM
StCirq

Tuck: While there are quite a few such places in the Dordogne, I wouldn't count on finding one easily after July 1. They are all listed with the local tourist offices, which refer people to them all day long. And after the end of June the tourist offices are packed with people looking for that kind of accommodation.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:36 PM
StCirq

Tuck: I should add that if you want to stay a step ahead of the competition, write or e-mail the Tourist Office in Sarlat and ask for their &quot;Guide H&eacute;bergement.&quot; It lists B&amp;Bs and g&icirc;tes and fermes-auberges and chambres d'h&ocirc;te, with telephone numbers. If you can call a day in advance, or even early the morning you'd like to stay over, you'd probably have better luck.