Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   French Alps-October weather? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/french-alps-october-weather-1026230/)

NativeNewYorker Sep 24th, 2014 04:53 AM

French Alps-October weather?

Considering a trip in mid-October that will include Aix le Baines, Chamonix, Annency. Have viewed some weather statistics-type websites. Of course we expect it to be cool, autumn weather. Perhaps 50's F during the day, 40's F @ night. Is it rainy? Are we crazy for considering the Alps in mid-October? This is when this trip would be, and don't want to miss a wonderful opportunity. We would be continuing south to Provence, where it would be slightly warmer.

neckervd Sep 24th, 2014 08:29 AM

Do you want to go to these 3 places only (none of them lies above 1000 metres/3500 ft) or really into the Alps?
Night temperatures around 20 F are not seldom in the Alps (in October) whereas day temperatures may go up to 70 F on sunny days. October is rather a dry month, but weather is never predictable in the Alps.
I suppose you know that except Aiguille du Midi, no gondola or mountain railway will run at Chamonix in October and that only every third or forth restaurant or shop will be open.
That in contradiction to places like Zermatt, Saas Fee, Riederalp/Aletsch Glacier, Jungfrau area, etc. where everything will run because of Swiss school holidays.

NativeNewYorker Sep 26th, 2014 10:42 AM

Thank you for the reply. This is a tour, and these are the places mentioned in the tour. I didn't know the altitudes. There is one day where they talk about going to 12,000. I do not remember where. These are cute villages, yes? I definitely need more information about this tour. Thanks much.

nytraveler Sep 26th, 2014 05:47 PM

12000 ft is probably the Jungfrau. Expect full winter weather - since it is snow covered year round and runs a ski school even in July and August.

I would look very carefully into all the details of the tour. Do be aware than many days the tops of the mountains are wreathed in clouds and you can't see you hand in front of your face - never mind the mountains, valleys, cute towns etc.

traveller1959 Sep 27th, 2014 04:23 AM

>>>There is one day where they talk about going to 12,000<<<

12,000 will be on a mountain pass. The bus will stop there for a quarter of an hour or so and you can make some pictures. This will be cold for a couple of minutes, so take a jacket.

Otherwise, you will be in the valleys most of the time.

Aix le Baines, Chamonix, Annency are all on low altitude, down in the valleys (around 800 feet). These are mid-sized towns. You will see scenic lakes and beautiful boardwalks. The surrounding mountains will be gorgeous and the peaks covered with fresh snow. You will drive into the mountains to get some breathtaking vistas. Also, you will see ugly ski resorts and picturesque tiny villages.

Yes, it can rain in October, but you can also have fine weather. Who can predict?

In any case, take a sweater and a rainproof jacket.

Nonconformist Sep 27th, 2014 04:39 AM

"12000 ft is probably the Jungfrau"

More likely Mont Blanc from the area.

traveller1959 Sep 27th, 2014 07:03 AM

Sorry, I am not familiar with feet. 12000 ft is not the height of the passes but of the peaks. So, you will go up with an aerial tramway to one of the peaks. There, you need full winter gear (gloves etc.). Be sure to take hiking boots on this trip.

neckervd Sep 27th, 2014 09:53 AM

Chambery is the capital of Savoie and has about 125.000 inhabitants (with suburbs).
Annecy, capital of Haute Savoie is a town of the same size.
Chamonix is a holiday resort town with some 10.000 inhabitants and some 80.000 beds in hotels, holiday flats, etc. Most of them will be empty in late October.