Breakage deposits on French Gites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much deliberation, I settled on a gite in the Dordogne which was booked through en tout saisons. When the contract and payment terms arrived via email I learned that I was required to make a breakage deposit of 400 euros upon arrival.

Is this customary? I've rented houses and flats in France and Italy before but never encountered a breakage fee before. Can anyone provide some guidance? I'm nervous that when we depart, on a tight schedule, it might be difficult to retrieve the deposit.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
often they say that they require one but wave it when you arrive. or not - i've had both happen.

€400 seems high - but while you there you can explain that you will need to leave promptly, so can they do their inspection the day before. So long as it's clean a tidy, I can't imagine there will be a problem.

The alternative is to book somewhere else, assuming that you've not paid a deposit of course.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks annhig. Is the deposit normally cash? The lack of recouse once I've departed is an issue but if this is common practice I'll feel more at ease. En toutes saisons seems like a bona fide company from my brief internet search however, I can find no reviews good or bad in any of the usual places.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:02 PM

We've rented 59 gites in France. Every one required a breakage deposit. 400E is about normal, but some have been much higher. We've always paid in cash. A few times we didn't have quite enough cash, so we paid a day or two later.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:05 PM

We've departed early about 5 times, and always "settled up" the day before we departed. Gite owners are very accommodating.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:13 PM

You didn't ask - but we've never had a proprietor try to "nit-pick" us for small chips on glasses, missing forks, etc. I once broke a glass lid on a saute pan, and I went to the local store & purchased a new saute pan with a matching lid. When I told the proprietor about it, she said that I didn't need to do that.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a million to both of you.

Stu, I have worn your Dordogne and Languedoc itineraries quite thin with usage. Many, many thanks for those. I will admit that this trip has been more difficult than any other I have planned. The area is so huge and there is so much more to see than we possibly have time for. But as you say, that's a good thing and all the more reason to go again next year.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 07:46 PM

We've never had trouble getting the security deposit back, but I did negotiate last year to pay a lower fee than was asked ( I forget what it was, but it was higher than 400 euro--big house for 10 of us) because I was returning to USA the next day and did not want a lot of euro handed back to me at that point. If you're staying in Europe for even a couple of days you could probably easily spend the 400 euro before returning home, assuming you are from North America and don't want lots of euro left over at end of trip. The owner did a quick walk through on the morning we left, and all was ok. I realize that this is not your question, but it is something to think about.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 01:01 AM

yes, cash. The way the euro is going, the €400 you hand over may be worth considerably more than the €400 you get back, but apart from that, so long as you don't trash the place, [I'm sure you won't] or inadvertently cause a flood, you'll be fine.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 01:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've done the break and replace action as well, when I told madame, she opened the massive cupboard, that we had been told not to open, and showed me enough stuff to fill three houses. All received from dead relative's old houses!

Still I have been told off for cleaning the house too well!
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 03:28 AM

Just a thought from the other side of the question. Our good friends here in the Dordogne own a gite. I am amazed at the amount of breakage and malicious damage. The story about the newly wed couple breaking the shower plumbing is true. I helped replace the faucet. Also, the parents allowing their child to clods of dire into the pool filter; the couple who could not travel without their bird on which they could not impose staying in a cage in their cottage; the destroyed bed linen; and the broken dishes all happened in one season. And, that is just the stuff they mentioned to us. As they cannot distinguish the guests among their first time visitors, a large breakage deposit seems quite reasonable on reflection,
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 05:07 AM

Jeff - perhaps we've just been lucky but we have had surprisingly few horror stories over the years from our renting out of a converted barn adjacent to our house. the odd breakage that gets replaced [we don't have a cupboard full of spares, bilbo!] the odd spillage, but other than that, very few problems. touch wood! and we don't take a deposit either.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 11:03 AM

Whenever we've inadvertently broken something like a wine glass, I've simply replaced it, often buying a couple of extras. I've found that most owners are understanding about accidental breakage of small items. The breakage deposit is usually for the big stuff - like blowing up the electrical circuit with a US hairdryer. For something like that 400 euros is nothing.

I've also left kitchen utensils I bought, such as spatulas, wire whisks, and peelers, if the rental was lacking whatever I needed. I've never had trouble getting my damage deposit back and though I haven't cleaned the rental, I always take out all garbage, washed the dishes, cleaned out the fridge, wiped down the counter tops, and returned any furniture I moved back to its original position. In other words, except for a thorough cleaning, which I pay for anyway, I leave the rental in the same condition as I found it.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 11:17 AM

I had to pay a breakage fee on an apartment I rented in San Francisco 2 years ago. I didn't get it back until a week after I'd left.

I had a guest leave yesterday who broke a wine glass. He offered to pay for it, but since he was the last person to break the last glass of the set, I'd asked him to please forget it. The glasses were originally a gift from a guest who thought we deserved higher-quality wine glasses. than the el cheapo dishwasher safe dozen we've owned since moving in. Now that the nice expensive ones are all broken (it took 3 years), we don't have to worry about it anymore.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 11:56 AM

CJT - 9/10!

you will be surprised perhaps that some guests even do some vacuuming before they leave; sadly we feel obliged to go over it all again to make sure nothing was missed. I've always thought that it was odd [usually in France] to have to pay extra for cleaning - surely that is included in the price as you can't really leave it to the guests. [I know, I've been one!]
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 02:02 PM

I finally resorted to leaving a note for my guests asking them to please not wash the linens and towels and hang them out to dry, because my Italian clothes line, strung alongside the house, is tricky. We wouldn't have guests if we weren't prepared for breakage and damage (many of our guests bring kids) and most people don't realize that being helpful can end up inadvertantly being more work, or that the recylcling is easier if we do it ourselves. I appreciate the thought (and can always use an extra spatula and the leftover apples) but guests deserve to be guests.

Of course, if I were renting property for money each week, I'd need to do things differently. But even then, I think I would prefer to charge renters for a professional cleaning or build a breakage policy into the contract, rather than rely on them to cleaning to their idea of a professional standard or worry about recovering damages after the fact.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 11:49 PM

As an owner myself I'm completely with annhig and sandralist.
When I read you Jeff, I feel lucky that in 10 years of renting I had no horror story like your friends had, wow!
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 08:34 AM

sandralist - so far, none of our guests has washed the linen and towels [or if they have they've managed to hide it from us]. DH has a system whereby he washes and dries the linen as soon as they leave, meanwhile DS makes the beds with fresh linen which was washed and dried the week before. That way, if there are any problems, there is always a spare set. We have a very simple contract and so far [touching wood again] every one has abided by it. in fact, I can't believe how neat and tidy they all are! [famous last words].
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 05:43 PM

I rented from En Toutes Saisons in St. Cyprien in 2012. I don't remember paying a damage deposit, but I can assure you it's a very legitimate business. Our rental actually belonged to the owner of the agency, and we met up with her a few times. She was very responsive to anything we've needed.

I've rented over 40 properties all over Europe... some places have asked for a damage deposit and most have not. I wouldn't let a damage deposit deter me from renting a place that really interests me.

We have our own place in Provence now. I don't ask for a damage deposit (too much hassle since we're absentee owners and our housekeeper isn't always able to be there when our guests depart). In our confirmation I say that any damages or breakages are on the honor system. A couple of people have sent or left me a few euros for broken glasses. So far, nothing but these minor issues.

Kathy
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. To know the breakage deposit is usual and customary gives me the comfort I was seeking.

Kathy, it could be that the deposit is an owner by owner prerogative. Some of the contract language seemed specific to this property but I could certainly be wrong.