Notices

Freiburg to Zell am See

Feb 14th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Freiburg to Zell am See

Hello all,

We will be driving (myself and two young boys) from Freiburg to a town near Zell am See this summer. Google maps tells me that the fastest route is via Stuttgart and Munich, but since we will be driving later in the trip from the Chiemsee to the Stuttgart area, I would like to take another route.

I'd like to go south, but that puts us at an 8 hour drive......so maybe via Ravensburg and Garmisch is the way to go....putting us at 6 hours or so. Here is my question: We will get up early and get on the road and allow for as many stops as we need. Are there any stops that we could "plan" for? Places that young boys could stretch legs a bit? Outdoor museum? Lakes, etc? We were in the area a couple of years ago and saw a Tractor Museum in Unteruhldingen, the city of Ravensburg, and an outdoor museum near Garmisch.

I know I can find places with enough effort, but was hoping someone had personal experience or info on a place I won't easily find. We may break up the trip with an overnight, not entirely sure yet, but personally would prefer to push through and have our entire week near Zell am See.

Thank you!!!!
Feb 14th, 2016, 09:22 AM

That's quite a long drive, and you sure have many options.

Just ONE possible route - focussing on Lake Constance:

Take B31 from Freiburg to Lindau - along the Northern shore of the Lake.
You can visit Mainau flower island (requires some time).
Your boys may be interested in the Dornier aerospace museum and/or Zeppelin museum, both in Friedrichshafen.
The small historic towns like Meersburg or Lindau on the lake make good stops to just walk around.

If your activities around Lake Constance have consumed too much time to continue via slow B308 towards Garmisch (and that part will be more strenous driving than getting from Freiburg to Lindau), just hang South from Bregenz to Feldkirch to catch the Arlberg motorway S16/A12 via Innsbruck to Wörgl.
And then highways B178 / B 164 via St Johann in Tirol to Zell.

You need a motorway toll sticker to drive on Austrian motorways. You will get it at gas stations near the border, e.g. in Lindau.

A bit more Southern route via Gerlos would take you to Krimml falls on the scenic Gerlos pass road. But since this is already pretty close to Zell am See, you could easily do it as a day trip from there. And not necessarily at the end of a long day.
Feb 15th, 2016, 05:43 AM

There are tons of other gems more or less along the itinerary mentioned by cowboy, like Rhine Falls adventure Park, Unteruhldingen Lake dwellings, etc. etc.
But you will just not have time for a decent visit of all these places
Feb 15th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!!!! I will look at the suggestions. The last time we were at Lake Constance there was a summer storm, so that might be worth re-visiting since we saw very little but grey skies and choppy water.

Search this Thread