Reload this Page >

Freelancing Trip to Vaux-le-Vicomte

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Bob Brown

After looking at various tours, I have decided that freelancing my trip to Vaux-le-Vicomte is perhaps the best option. <BR>That way I can stay as long as I wish, within transportation limits. <BR><BR>I know the general procedure for a self-directed trip to Vaux-le-Vicomte. Train to Melun; taxi to and from the Chateau. Banlieu trains to Melun leave from Gare de Lyon frequently; the RER goes there, too. My question pertains more specifically to the taxi ride from the station to the Chateau. If you took the taxi how did you arrange it? Any problem with the return trip?<BR>Any other details that you can add, or words of wisdom, will be highly appreciated.<BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:06 PM
pj

We went to Vaux-le Vicomte in March this year. There is no problem getting a cab at the train station, there everywhere. We asked the taxi to come back at a specific time.<BR> That would have worked out fine, except we lost track of time and it was closing time before we knew it. Well missed our taxi-and ended up hitchhiking back to train!! Worked out in the end and gave us some stories at home!! PJ

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Bob Brown

Thanks PJ. Two questions:<BR>1. How did you communicate with the driver?<BR>2. Was there a specific reason you could not call for another taxi to come for you?<BR><BR>I think that leads to perhaps a 3rd question. How late in the day or evening can a taxi be expected?<BR>I know in some of those villages, the cab drivers go home about 6 pm.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Ron

Don't take the RER...it is a lot longer ride than the regular train. There are cabs at the station, and when leaving the chateau they will call one for you. Be sure to have the schedule for expresss service back to Paris.<BR><BR>But Bob, weren't you interested in the candelight visit? For that I don't know if you can do it by train.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Bob Brown

I was interested in the candlelight tour, but at the price, I am debating.<BR>Hence I am checking out other options.<BR>At a tour cost of $266 for two of us, and an admission from the tour operator that the dinner was just a meal in the restaurant at Vaux, I am not sure I want it when I can do it my self in the daylight hours so I can really see the place, again.<BR>Figuring that the meal and admission to the chateau is worth perhaps $35 per person, that leave about $200 worth of cab ride to and from Paris. Not sure if it is worth it.<BR>That is why I am hoping someone will have taken the candlelight tour. The cost effectiveness of it all has come into question. <BR><BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Alice

We did this in April 2001 on a Sunday. There was -one- cab operating. There is a taxi call station in front of the gare. The taxi was busy and was not waiting out front (weekdays hopefully are better). He picked up 2 fares before us (they were waiting before we arrived), then came back for us. About a 15-minute ride. When we finished our visit at the chateau, I asked the gift shop clerk if there was a phone I could use (the cabbie had given me his card), but she insisted on calling him for me. We just had to walk out to the road and watch for him. His card reads: Radio-Taxis Melunais 01.64.52.51.50

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:55 AM
pj

Our cabdriver was fluent in english so communication was not a problem.<BR> There were alot of taxis when we were there.<BR> We couldn't call a cab because by the time we left the gaRdens everything was closed up! PJ

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Bob Brown

I understand fully. The place is buttoned up tight with alarm systems and there is nothing on the road at all except trees and NO place to walk. <BR>As I recall, the trees line the pavement within touching distance of passing cars, thus make walking a hazardous undertaking.<BR>