Free entertainment in London now

Apr 18th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Free entertainment in London now

How some of the poor get richer in the USA, and how scholars communicate. These are just two of the free public lectures anybody can hear here next Wednesday in London. Google will find them for you on http://victorianresearch.org/lectures.html, or via the words Ben Haines London lectures. I have kept up my public list half a decade now, and many visitors like the idea that they rest their feet while they exercise their minds, and of join English public discussion at question time. A half hour discussion follows about a third of the lectures, and some groups move on to a pub or Italian supper nearby. I hope you find something to enjoy. There is something daily in May and mostly in June
Ben Haines
[email protected]
4.30. Moving Out of Poverty Experimentally? A Report on Current Findings in an experiment in the United States. R505, fifth floor, Lionel Robbins Building, London School of Economics. Temple tube
5.30 for 6pm. Death and Redemption in Late Romantic Fiction: the neglected writings of Theodore Francis Powys of Dorsetshire (1875-1953). Inaugural, followed by wine. Room 315 King William Court, Maritime Campus, Greenwich University. Train from London Bridge to Maze Hill
6pm Bouts: 'The Entombment'. Room 63, National Gallery. Leicester Square tube
6pm. Scholarly Communication in the 21st century, in the series Curation: access and service delivery. Chadwick Lecture Theatre, Gower Street, University College London. Euston Square tube
6pm. Walking on Water: the long way to peace in the Middle East. Hong Kong Theatre, Clement House, London School of Economics. Temple tube
6pm. Scholarly Communication. Chadwick Lecture Theatre, Gower Street, University College London, Euston Square tube
6pm. Learning in 2016. Register 020 7930 5115 or Royal Society of Arts, John Adam Street, Charing Cross tube

Apr 18th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Hi Mr. Haines, thanks for the info.
Apr 18th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Thank you, Mr. Haines! You sound like quite the intellectual. I think I will look it up and see if any lectures will be given when I am visiting!!

I know...I am a nerd...I love all things books and school and lectures and science.
Apr 24th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

It is quite ok to be a nerd, or an intellectual, and you need not pull a forelock to slower thinkers around you. The anglo-american public disparagement of thought does neither country any good. As individuals we enjoy thinking, and as societies we profit by rational thought amongst us.

Ben Haines

Apr 24th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Your thoughts are ever so refreshing, Mr. Haines....
May 15th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Refreshing, and refreshed. My web host and I are mounting a new edition. For example, for Wednesday 24 May we list
German Expressionism and France. Day conference. Register Jane Lewin, [email protected]. Stewart House, Senate House. Russell Square tube
5.30. Coercion and Consent in Nazi Germany. British Academy, 10 Carlton House Terrace. Piccadilly Circus tube
6.30. HIV/AIDS in the 21st Century: looking forward to what? Old Theatre, Old Building, London School of Economics, Holborn tube.
7pm. Apartheid, race and antisemitism: European antecedents, local adaptations. Register 020 7580 3493 or [email protected]. Wiener Library, 4 Devonshire Street. Great Portland Street tube

The day conference costs a fee, and the three lectures are free. If you enter a lecture title in Google and say you feel lucky you may have a note on the event and the subject. After the lecture is given, if you do the same you often have the lecture spoken, with a webcast of the discussion session. No glass of wine, I am afraid. Nor do you have one from the BBC if you listen on the web to similar serious discussion, such as Bahrenboim’s Reith lectures or Melvyn Bragg’s series “In Our Time”. I see no great loss. Placed as you are you can take a shining glass of something good from California.

Welcome to London.

Ben Haines
bnhainesyahoo.co.uk

May 16th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

I see that Bennett’s play “The History Boys” is playing well in the United States (no surprise), and I want to say that some of the pleasure of unrepentant enjoyment of thought that the play conveys is often to be found also at public lectures, and especially at the discussion thereafter.

Ben Haines

Search this Thread