free concerts in Prague

Jun 26th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

free concerts in Prague

We are interested in seeing free concerts in Prague. I know there are free classical recitals in in most cities in Europe. Any information on web-sites or other sources to get information would be appreciated. Also I will be in Munich and Vienna in October.
Thank you,
mike
Jun 27th, 2004, 11:06 AM

If you are in Prague the last week of July and the first week of August, check out the festival I play in www.ameropa.org I think the student concerts are free, but the faculty ones require a ticket. (Maybe $10 - 15 USD)

Other than that, Prague Post may have some listings for free concerts, although most tourist concerts charge. You can find street musicians playing in Old Town Square, as well as near the castle (approach from Neruda Ulice). Also, the Charles Bridge is lined with musicians.

If I find any other info, I'll post back.
Jun 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM

amp - I'm going to be in Prague July 23rd through the 28th and I'd love to attend one of your concerts. From the website you posted it looks like there is a concert on July 25th at 6pm but I couldn't find any info on where to buy tickets. I also can't find that church in my guidebook. Can you give me any more details. And by the way, thanks for all your help last winter with all my questions.
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

amp322,
Thanks for your info. I will be in Prague in Mid-October.
Mike
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:38 PM

More years ago than I would care to say, I went with local friends to one or two free concerts given in churches.

And if I recall correctly, concerts are also given in the garden of the Palais Waldstein (or Wallenstein), but I believe admission is charged for those.

There is a Web site

http://www.bed.cz/prague_concerts.html

that lists at least half a dozen churches in which concerts are given. (I notice that it does not list the Palais Waldstein; I daresay things have changed since I was there...) Concerts in churches are often free or charge low admission.

When you arrive in Prague, the tourist office there should (I do not say "will") have a list of events going on in the next week or fortnight.
Jun 27th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the help. I am very interested in Classical guitar recitals. Any information on other types of music also would be helpfull.
Thank you,
mike
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:42 PM

I have been to quite a few concerts or recitals in Prague, but none of them were free. This is my experience in all the European cities I've been to -- there are occasional free concerts but not many, most charge some fee, although for ones in churches, it is usually quite minor.

There is excellent classical music in Prague and I would not pass up a concert I wanted to hear because of a few euro charge. I would suggest you just try to find a copy of Praguepost English-language newspaper when you arrive to see what's on, where and the charge.

There may be some that are classical guitar, but nothing you can count on for the exact days you are there. You are more likely to find solo piano recitals or some kind of chamber music in churches.
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:13 PM

You can also look into concerts at AMU, the Academy of Music, in Mala Strana, across from St Nicholas Church. It is the best music school in Prague, and there may be a student or faculty recital. Like I mentioned before, I'll be in Prague this summer. If I find out anything more, I'll post back. Also, one of my friends has a daughter who is a classical guitarist in Prague. Maybe she'll have some info. Take care.