Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Free accommodations in Greece-would you invite your 82 yr. old mom??

Jul 10th, 2001, 12:14 PM
neverbeen

Here's the story. Have an opportunity to visit relatives who are renting a cottage north of Athens (not sure where). My mother who is 82 wants to go with me and I'd be happy to take her. BUT very concerned about a couple of things..weather-how hot? crowds-how crowded? anything else I should think of?

Jul 10th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Ferret

Is she in reasonably good health overall?

Jul 10th, 2001, 12:53 PM
elvira

There are many Greek citizens well over 82 years old, so apparently it's an ok place to be a senior.

Seriously, unless your mother has health problems, she should have a fine time. If she isn't strong enough to walk arount the Acropolis, for wxample, so what? There are plenty of places to visit, and if you are staying outside Athens, the countryside will yield lots of pleasant things to do.

Jul 10th, 2001, 02:20 PM
wendy

You didn't say which time of year you were going. July and August can be very hot but, lets face it, if she wants to go and is reasonably healthy why not take her?

Jul 10th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Laura

I travel with my mother at every opportunity. I genuinely like her as a person- I think she is cool and would be fun to be with even if she weren't my mom. I know some of my friends don't feel that way, but if you like her, enjoy her while you have the opportunity. Look at it as if you have a chance to make some precious memories, even if you give up a little mobility in the process.