Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Frecciarossa Train and Station Info, Rome Napoli and Florence SMN (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/frecciarossa-train-and-station-info-rome-napoli-and-florence-smn-1670830/)

caprique11 Aug 19th, 2019 01:14 PM

Frecciarossa Train and Station Info, Rome Napoli and Florence SMN

Two of us will be traveling from Naples to Rome in October (mid week - Wednesday probably), each of us having one 25Ē roller suitcase and one 21Ē roller between us. (So 3 rolling suitcases in total; 2-25 inch and one 21 inch), plus a handbag and backpack. (I know - but itís a long multi country 4 week trip - no judgement please ;)).

We will take a Frecciarossa train mid afternoon from Naples to Rome Termini and are considering First Class (is it also known as Business Class by Trenitalia?) primarily because of the potential for fewer people, more space, and less hectic overall, therefore potentially easing the management all of this luggage. We will be doing the same thing a week or so later from Rome to Florence.

Can anyone tell me if the Napoli Centrale, Roma Termini and Firenze SMN stations are flat / street level - meaning we would be able to easily roll our luggage in and out of the station to purchase a ticket, get to the train platform and exit the train station to get a taxi? Or will there be stairs involved? escalators?

Also is there ever anyone to help with luggage for First Class passengers to get it up the few stairs into and off of the train? We can probably manage that part on our own, but I read somewhere that on Frecciarossa trains in First class that there would be train staff on the platform, but not sure if they help in anyway.

And finally, do Frecciarossa tickets that are purchased online in advance with reserved seats require validation at the train station?

Thank you in advance for your help.

cruiseluv Aug 19th, 2019 02:19 PM

I'm pretty sure the platform at the three stations are on street level ( was in Naples 5 yrs ago and thats the one I'm not completely sure). Unfortunately, no help from staff at these train stations, you're on your own to load and unload luggage. The tickets you print should have a bar code, which the conductor will scan. No need to validate in any machine prior to boarding. You made the right decision to buy Business class tickets, I do it mainly to be sure I'll have space for the luggage. Editing to add that I just googled it and confirmed that train platforms at Napoli Centrale are at street level.

greg Aug 19th, 2019 02:59 PM

There are few low ignorable steps at these stations. Not stairs. It is difficult to design buildings that can prevent rain water from flowing inside from the street without adding some steps.
There are always steps into Italian trains and as mentioned, and there is no one assigned to help you. You are on your own.
The only online tickets they sell are valid only on the train specified. Besides, you cannot feed these sheets into a validating machine anyway.

Whether you can find a lot of space at the floor level to store your luggage or not depends on with whom you are traveling. If you happened to get stuck in the same car with other travelers equally loaded, there simply isn't enough space at the floor level to store luggage. I encouter this every once in a while, but since I travel with 20" luggage even for a 4 week trip, I can hoist my luggage onto the overhead rack and let other heavy packers use the space behind my seat.

J62 Aug 19th, 2019 04:54 PM

Google maps is your friend for questions like this. You can use google maps street view to virtually walk around, or inside each of those train stations to see what it's like.

caprique11 Aug 20th, 2019 09:43 AM

Thank you!

Jean Aug 21st, 2019 08:40 AM

What google maps won't show you is the multiple steps from the station platform onto the train carriage. I find those steps more difficult than normal stairs encountered elsewhere in a station, and I don't travel with a large, heavy suitcase.

https://farm66.staticflickr.com/6553...ea2dc9d4_b.jpg

I'm not judging, but I strongly encourage you to reduce the size and/or number of your luggage pieces. Train rides aren't the only event where having lots of luggage can make travel difficult.

caprique11 Aug 21st, 2019 09:35 AM

Thank you for that photo. We can totally manage a few steps like the ones shown, but I wanted to make sure there was not like a full staircase from one level to another level involved.

TDudette Aug 21st, 2019 09:36 AM

There were folks to help us at Naples station. Has something changed?

Jean Aug 21st, 2019 01:39 PM

If there are helpful folks at Napoli Centrale, make sure they are actually employees of the station before you hand over any luggage.

Traveler_Nick Aug 21st, 2019 09:23 PM

https://www.kipoint.it/pages/Servizi...rizzato_it/105

Florence , Naples and Termini should have porters. But one of you will have four bags? For a four week trip? Even with no steps how can you manage four bags? I hope you booked an extra room just for the luggage.

gentle Aug 22nd, 2019 06:52 AM

Trains and women

Can I just point out to get your case from the platform onto the train is not easy as they Have a few steps up yo the train. I travel a lot on these trains as a fit 60ish small women I have it done pack ( no one will help you) my girlfriend stands on the train and I hand our cases up to her , they have to wait the other passengers we do it really quick now but donít take world in your cases itís hard work . Good luck Iím going back to Rome in October and Naples love it

gentle Aug 22nd, 2019 06:52 AM

Can I just point out to get your case from the platform onto the train is not easy as they Have a few steps up yo the train. I travel a lot on these trains as a fit 60ish small women I have it done pack ( no one will help you) my girlfriend stands on the train and I hand our cases up to her , they have to wait the other passengers we do it really quick now but don’t take world in your cases it’s hard work . Good luck I’m going back to Rome in October and Naples love it

Seamus Aug 22nd, 2019 07:17 PM

Just back from an Italy trip that involved a couple intercity train trips including your stations. The chance of there being space at the end of the coach storage racks is random. To better your chances of snagging it, position yourself on the platform as close as possible to the entry to your reserved coach as it is first come, first served. You may still have to lift the bags, just not as high as the overhead racks. I'd plan to stash the two 25" bags there, put the 21" and backpack overhead.

As mentioned, the biggest challenge will be getting the bags from the platform onto the train itself. Within the stations there are escalators and elevators and ramps, so no worries about contending with lots of steps.

kybourbon Aug 23rd, 2019 06:55 PM

>>> To better your chances of snagging it, position yourself on the platform as close as possible to the entry to your reserved coach as it is first come, first served. <<<

All three of these stations are pull-in/back-out so each time the cars are reversed order. The good thing is they are usually in the stations about 15 minutes so you have time to find your car and board. Stops at pull-through stations are shorter.

>>>There were folks to help us at Naples station. Has something changed?<<<

They weren't rail employees. Naples has long had a problem of people "offering" to help and then demanding money.

>>>are considering First Class (is it also known as Business Class by Trenitalia?)<<<

Trenitalia has multiple classes. Don't book premium thinking your are getting business or similar. The only difference between premium and standard is the fabric on the seats (no extra room) and you get a beverage. I don't think class matters a lot on such short routes (Naples/Rome barely over an hour and Rome/Florence 90 minutes).

Italo runs these routes too.
https://www.italotreno.it/en

Be careful handing luggage down the steps as the weight can pull you forward.

gentle Aug 25th, 2019 05:23 PM

Sorry sometimes you hardly have time to get on the train if they arrived late at the station they will take off ASAP , so find your couch number and go , I was in Italy for two months in April and I’m going bk in October and I only travel with hand luggage just so much easier to carry

misskdonkey Aug 26th, 2019 05:38 PM

Just a thought

I don't want to tell you what to do, but with that amount of luggage you make yourself vulnerable and a bit of a target. Buying tickets at the station you will sometimes be targeted by groups "wanting to help" you buy at the machines. You are trying to concentrate on everything and it is quite stressful anyway. The more bags you have the more stressful. Getting on the trains is up steep steps, and the only help you are likely to get is from fellow passengers, and while sometimes they will help, your luggage is your responsibilty. Even getting a taxi with lots of luggage is a pain, sometimes the drivers will help sometimes not. My suggestion is take less and keep it light. We mostly travel for 4-5 weeks and take enough for 5 days and wash. If there is special clothing ie conference or function, we post it home after the event.

bvlenci Aug 28th, 2019 08:58 AM

I would avoid Intercity trains, if possible. Some of them are still the old-style corridor-and-compartment trains, like in old films, which are a luggage nightmare. In the compartment, you can put a small bag under your seat, and a somewhat larger bag over your seat, in a spot that's very awkward to reach. The only place to put a large bag is in the narrow corridor, where it will impede the passage of every other rolling suitcase, large or small. If you have a compartment in the middle of the carriage, you'll have a veritable obstacle course to navigate before you reach it.

When these carriages were constructed, there was no wheeled luggage. People travelled with a small valise with leather straps, like in the old films, which they swung at arm's length. Life was simple in those days. You took one skirt or pair of trousers and two changes of shirt or blouse and you wore everything until you could smell it before you took it out of the wardrobe. You put the valise above your seat and a handbag under your seat. If you had anything larger than a valise, there was a baggage car where you could check it.

In short, these carriages were not intended for the 21st century.