Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fraterna Domus in Rome: Is there an elevator?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the very beginning stages of planning a trip to Italy for spring 2005, and our group is planning to stay in a convent in Rome (saving our lodging funds for the villa in Tuscany). Can anyone tell me whether Fraterna Domus has an elevator, as one member of our party has limited mobility? I've searched the archives, the Santa Susanna site, and Beds and Blessings, but there's no reference to an elevator (or not). If the question can't be answered here, I'll try to e-mail the convent, but since limited English is spoken there and web translators are often off the mark and my Italian doesn't include asking questions of this complexity (ha), I'm hoping that a well-traveled Fodorite will respond.

If there's another recommended convent close to the centro with an elevator, feel free to add your reply.

Grazie
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM

I've stayed at Fraterna Domus, and I'm afraid there is no elevator. I'm fairly able-bodied, but I have to admit I was getting a little bit desperate before I finally reached my room on the first (North American second) floor.

The convent Il Rosario (also on the Santa Susanna site) does have an elevator, but there are approximately 10 steps to go up on foot before you get to the elevator. Also, Il Rosario is central, but not in the Piazza Navona area like Fraterna Domus.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much, Eloise. It's my understanding that Nostra Signora di Lourdes does have an elevator.
While, the location isn't near Piazza Navona as we'd hoped, it may have to do!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Hey, how'd that first comma sneak into the last sentence? quot;>
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:27 PM

As it happens, I've also stayed at Nostra Signora di Lourdes and I can confirm that they have an elevator. The location is also wonderful: you can get almost any bus you might need or want at the Piazza Barberini down the street, and it's only a few yards away from the oh-so-expensive and oh-so-over-rated Hassler-Villa Medici.

I would only warn that their curfew (at 10:30 p.m.) can seem a little bit early, given dinner times in Rome. It can be done, though.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:40 PM

I should perhaps add that there are a few stairs at Nostra Signora di Lourdes as well before one reaches the elevator. But if there are a number of you, I am sure one of you will offer to take the suitcases of the person with limited mobility up those few stairs...
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

What a great source of information you are! In addition to the elevator, is the building "friendly" to someone with impaired mobility? She uses a wheelchair for long walks, but is able to climb a step or two. Bed and Blessings mentions that the convent can be noisy and to ask for a room facing the inner courtyard. Did you find this to be true? Final question, and it's important! Tell me about the breakfast there. Thanks again!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

I'm not too worried about the early curfew. Our group will be worn out long before 10:30!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:06 PM

Let me try to reply.

Once one has reached one's floor, the corridors leading to one's room can be quite long.

As I recall (I was there in 1998), there was a step up from the room to the bathroom/shower. The shower had its own drainage but in the old-fashioned Italian style -- again from memory -- was not enclosed. It may have had a shower curtain. It might be wise if someone were with the person with limited mobility just to make sure that he/she is managing safely.

And yes, the Via Sistina is quite a busy street, and a room facing on the courtyard (as mine did) would definitely be preferable.

Breakfast is perhaps not the strongest point at Nostra Signora di Lourdes. It's very, very continental: caffe latte (coffee and milk in separate pitchers, and I think the coffee had a fairly strong admixture of chicory...), bread or buns, butter, and jam. On the other hand, if one asked for more coffee, it was provided with a smile. I'm fairly sure that one can also ask for tea and, perhaps, for hot chocolate, but as someone who needs a caffeine fix in the morning, I always took the caffe latte.

One last remark: The good sisters are not noted linguists. I think they do have someone on staff who speaks English and is there for a good part of the day, but not each of the sisters who is on duty at one time or another speaks English. But then, that is what gestures and other forms of non-verbal communication are for!