Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

FRANKFURT: Which hotels can you recommend?

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 09:41 AM
Eileen

We will be attending a fair in Frankfurt from 29th January until 3rd February 1999. It will be our first time to go there and we do not have any idea about the place and which hotels are centrally located. Can you please help?

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 01:38 PM
bo_jack

The Hotel National -- a Best Western property -- is fairly centrally located. Within 8-10 blocks of the old city-center market square; within a few blocks of the Main; and just around the corner from the Hertz Rental Car office. Near bus stops & train station. Probably will cost about $100-$120 per night. I've only stayed there one night, but it was quite satisfactory.

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 11:34 PM
Eileen

bo, thanks for the advice. I'm wondering how the rooms are at the Hotel National. Were they clean, comfortable, and with modern amenities? Any idea how far it is from the Frankfurt Messe? (fairgrounds)

Old Dec 6th, 1998, 04:18 AM
bo_jack

The hotel is 4-star rated. Room was large -- as I recall. Certainly, it was clean and has all "modern amenities" that my wife and I require. However, we were "crashing" for the day/night after a trans-atlantic flight and only stayed one night, so my memory is somewhat vague. Room was available when we got there, which was relatively early. Best Western guide book says there are 70 rooms and says that "main train station, fair ground and shopping are in walking distance." I know that the train station and shopping are near by; I didn't see the messe, but have no reason to doubt the guide book. Hotel's phone number is 0 69 27 39 40 -- or just call Best Western -- and ask them. The street where the hotel is located is a busy street; the neighborhood seems to have a lot of emigrants from Turkey or the middle east with small businesses in it. Not what would be called a "charming" location, but certainly satisfactory, safe-feeling and relatively convenient to the city center. I believe there was also an underground station near-by, but we did not use it.

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 06:52 AM
Lee

Eileen: In Frankfurt, I would suggest the Inter Europe Hotel Continental at Baselerstrasse 56, D-60329 Frankfurt/Main, tel. (069) 230341. It isn't very large, but it is clean and nice and it's under $100.00 inc. breakfast. It's about 200m from the main train station and that connects you easily to everything including the Messe.

Another choice is the Holiday Inn in Sachsenhausen, which is a great area. It's just blocks south of the Sachsenhausen "pub district" (don't miss this area) and across the bridge from the Romer. The hotel can be found through 1-800-HOLIDAY and it has everything except a pool, instead it has an exercise area, sauna, jacuzzi, etc. It is a 25 story place across from Henninger Brewery on a main bus route. Cost is just under $100.00 for a dbl., less breakfast.

Have a good trip!

Old Dec 9th, 1998, 04:06 AM
Eileen

Lee, thanks for the advice. However, we prefer a hotel that is located in the center of Frankfurt so that we can just walk going to the Messe.
What can you say about the Frankfurt Inter-Continental, Le Meridien, and Arabella Sheraton? We're choosing among these 3 hotels. The problem is, they're almost fully booked so we have to make a decision as soon as possible.
Hope you'll be able to help me out. Thank you so much.

Old Dec 9th, 1998, 05:27 AM
Lee

Eileen: I have not stayed at any of the three, but I do know a little something about two of them.

The LeMeridien Parkhotel is an older, but very fashionable place. Not cheap, it is a first class hotel, I believe. It's location is center city if I remember correctly. I have a number: (069) 2697-0.

The Hotel Intercontinental is a more modern, but much larger place. It's located closer to the Main River, if memory serves me. I think that was one I had looked at when we went back in the summer of '97. Telephone: (069) 2605-0.

I guess that anymore I prefer the smaller hotel with personalized service, especially in Europe. For your requirements, I'd say that you probably can't go wrong with the Le Meridien.

Good luck and have fun!