Reload this Page >

Frankfurt to Vienna by car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 1997, 03:30 PM
Wagner Schwan Silva

My girlfriend and I are spending the first two weeks of October in Germany and Austria (Frankfurt to Vienna) with a leased car. What places should we absolutely not miss?

Old Aug 29th, 1997, 06:55 AM
Tricia

Do not miss the Mosel Valley, a Rhine River Cruise and the city of Rothenburg. We just returned from there and it is unbelievable. You can shop til you drop, walk and walk, enjoy the beer gardens, and take lots of gorgeous pictures. There is a website with a virtual tour of Rothenburg with pictures and maps. Try the different search engines. If you can't find it E-mail me. Also drive through the Black Florest and see the "Sleeping Beauty Castle"
We were running out of money in black forest and found the shop owners more than willing to have you fax them(to order a clock) when you return home. They will gladly supply fax form, order no. of the clock, shipping costs etc. That way I didn't have to tote it thru airport. Check out this forum in month of July, there were some good questions/answers on Germany and Vienna. My AAA book says its about an 8 hour drive between Frankfurk and Vienna. We also leased a car. Deutsche Reismobile was the name of the company in Germany.

Old Aug 30th, 1997, 07:42 AM
Bob Ricks

Advice on Rothenburg in previous message very good. From Frankfurt you can easily check out the Rhine...only about 1 1/2 hours from airport. Then back track through Heidelberg and the castle and on to Rothenburg. Then south on the Romantic road down to Fussen and the castles at Neuschwanstein. Over through Oberammergau and into Garmisch and then on Alpine road to Berchtesgaden. Day trip into Salzburg and into Vienna. Munich is nice if you have the time, but we prefer the small towns. Buy the Karen Brown book on small inns as good reference place for places to stay. Black Forest also very nice, but you may run out of time. Email if you need any more info. We are veterans of living and traveling in Germany. have fun!

Old Sep 1st, 1997, 07:31 AM
Jeff Saylor

I saw your message on Germany; My wife and I are planning to be there Sept. 21-Oct. 3.
Bacharach (small town on the Rhine); has a wine fest around the end of Sept.-Oct.. Have you ever been to it? And when is it?

Old Sep 10th, 1997, 11:49 AM
Lee

My wife and I returned from our honeymoon in Germany
this past July. We started in Frankfurt with a rented car and proceeded to the Rhine where we stayed at a castle ruin/villa at St. Goars. It was a beautiful trip driving up the "east" side from Rudesheim to Koblenz (about 70km) and then down to St. Goars (and on to Mainz) By the way, Bacharach (mentioned earlier) is a beautiful little town just south of St. Goars. I highly recommend this trip and it can be done in one day. We also went to Rothenburg (park in lot #3 and 1/2 mile walk into town)and spend the day. It's beautiful! We went to Munich and day-tripped to Garmisch, Ettal (beautiful basilica), Linderhof castle and Oberammergau. We spent one day at Neuschwanstein at Schwangau and then north to Heidelburg and back to Frankfurt. In Frankfurt, be sure to visit the Romer and Sachsenhausen on the other side of the Main River. We had a fantastic time every day with wonder upon wonder. Get a good map and you'll be fine. The only time we got lost was in Munich which is rather confusing. E-mail me if you'd like more info. Have a great time!

Old Sep 17th, 1997, 06:00 PM
joyce

Just returned from Munich to Vienna(10 days). Area around Garmish is beautiful.
Mad Ludwig's castles are a must.We didn't spend much time in Munich or Innsbruck,
but enjoyed smaller villages along the way. The drive up the mountain in Berchtesgaden
(Eagle's Nest)is beautiful. There is lots to see in Salzburg..the fortress, Sound of Music
sights,Mozart's house,etc. Bad Ischl,Linz,Krems and Abbey of Melk(famous for
The Name of the Rose library)are worth visiting. Durnstein has ruins of castle where Richard
the Lionheart was held captive..you can stay at a castle(Schloss Hotel)in this medieval city.
From Durnstein you can follow Danube into Vienna(see responses to other questions on vienna).