Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Frankfurt to Stuttgart with train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/frankfurt-to-stuttgart-with-train-903587/)

MimiP86 Aug 21st, 2011 11:23 PM

Frankfurt to Stuttgart with train

Hi guys
I'm arriving in Frankfurt on 25 August at 06:10 nd i need to take a train to Stuttgart.
From what i read on the internet, it says the long-distance train (ICE) is located right infront of Terminal 1 and some say you have to take the bridge and go to the building accross the street, take the hallway out to the Station. I would like to know "what is the distance about from terminal 1 to the Train station?" It's my first time i'm using a long distance train in Germany. If anyone is going Stuttgart from Frankfurt on the same date, please let me know. I plan to go with the train departing at 08:54.

Thank you!

Hans Aug 21st, 2011 11:35 PM

Mimi, the long-distance railway station is in a building on the other side of the street in front of Terminal 1.

You can cross the street and then take an escalator or you cross the street on a bridge from Terminal 1. The bridge is probably easier to find. Anyway, there'll be a lot of people you can ask.

From arrivals you'll be in maximum 10 minutes at the railway platform.

MimiP86 Aug 21st, 2011 11:44 PM

Thanks Hans
I have been doing some research over the weekend and i hope i have gathered useful information.

I have also downloaded some Airport maps with directions and ICE train pictures.

I read that there are hourly trains but i also read somewhere that sometimes long distance train tickets get finish. I'm just not sure what to believe.

quokka Aug 22nd, 2011 12:46 AM

Train tickets cannot sell out. Only the discounted tickets (the 29 € savings fare which must be booked well in advance) can sell out because there are only a few of them available for each train. Standard fare tickets are always available.

Seat reservations can sell out, too. A train ticket does not guarantee you a seat, just the right to be on board the train. If you want a guaranteed seat, you can book a seat reservation on www.bahn.com (look up connections, then proceed as if you wanted to buy a ticket until the system asks you whether you want a ticket with or without reservation or a seat reservation only).

You may want to have a look at the tips about train travel in my pages on Virtualtourist: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/b/9/?o=1 (Click "Member's Choice" at the top to have them in proper sequel).

MimiP86 Aug 22nd, 2011 04:47 AM

Thak you very much quokka
I had a look at your page and i found very useful info.
I will take down some notes from it.

Regards,

Hans Aug 22nd, 2011 07:53 AM

I just took a look at the Bahn website and there's a train at 9:20 for 41 Euro with a saving rate still available at 24 Euro (which restricts you to that train). It's an IC instead of an ICE (less modern train and not going as fast, but on the leg between Frankfurt and Stuttgart it doesn't make a difference for the travel time).

If you don't mind the additional costs, you can buy the normal, full-price tickets at the railway station or for a few additional Euro on board of the train.

In that case, you can take any train at that day (i.e. you're not restricted to the train for which you bought the ticket).

But don't sweat it. The connections between Frankfurt airport and Stuttgart are frequent. You won't have a problem to find someone speaking English at the airport who can give you directions to the railway station and the train conductors will probably have also at least a little English. And at 8:54, the train probably won't be full.

PalenQ Oct 17th, 2011 09:03 AM

Follow signs for Fernbahnhof for the Long-Distance train station - a bit beyond the older Regional Train (S-Bahn) too train station - well marked and about a 15-minute walk at most but you also have to buy a ticket so leave lots of time and there are lots of trains to Stuttgart - do not lock yourself into a discounted fares that is non-refundable and train-specific unless you leave a lot of fudge factor time in in case your plane is late. A full fare ticket can be used on any of the same type of trains - hourly or so to Stuttgart but just buy it once you land IMO.

For lots of good stuff on German trains - www.seat61l.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com as well as http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/b/9/?o=1 (quokka's above poster's excellent wrap up of German trains.

PalenQ Oct 20th, 2011 12:27 PM

I read that there are hourly trains but i also read somewhere that sometimes long distance train tickets get finish. I'm just not sure what to believe>

as quokka, who I believe lives in Germany but not sure, says trains cannot sell out - they could be full but you can always board - they are rarely full - and in first class IME rarely full - I always have a first-class railpass and can never remember not finding empty seats in first class - often several so I can put my luggage easily on them. But do not worry about any German train selling out (except Thalys trains which you are not taking).