Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt to Salzburg, best by car or train?

Old May 26th, 1997, 05:41 AM
Linda Steinhoff

We are flying into Franfurt and plan on going to Salzburg, Vienna, and Prague. Any suggestions on how to go. What's the cheapest, and how's the scenery along the way? Any help is appreciated.

Old May 26th, 1997, 10:38 AM
jim turner

I would suggest getting a Eurail Pass. There are several versions, 14 days travel in 30 days etc. It would be much cheaper than renting a car and once in the cities you mentioned you won't need a car anyway. The scenery is just as scenic on the train as by auto. You must purchase the Eurail pass in the states and then get it validated at the first major railway station before use. They allow the holder to travel in first class cars so it is quite comfortable. Try to get on the Intercity trains, they are quite fast, 150mph+ and very nice. good luck. You can email me if you have any more questions. jimt

Old May 27th, 1997, 11:42 AM
Wolfgang

Would definitely suggest to get a Euraildrive Pass,
which gives you the options of at least 4 days of
unlimited train travel in Germany and Austria, and
at least 3 days of a car rental with unlimited mileage. If you prefer to take the train in Austria
and the Czech Republic you need a EuropeanEast Pass.
Rent a car in Frankfurt and drive down the Romantic
Road, start in the medieval, walled town of Rothenburg, continue thru Dinkelsbuehl, Noerdlingen
and go to Fuessen (Fairy tale castle -model for
Disney World). Countless other sights in Bavaria.
After you are finished in So. Germany drop off car in Munich and continue by train to Salzburg.
Have a great trip.

Old Jun 1st, 1997, 09:34 PM
Joe Seiwert

Although I left Germany in 1988, and am going for a short visit this September, in the four years that I lived there I put a lot of time behind the wheel. My advice depnds upon when you are travelling. The only bad time, and bad area in which to drive, is between Munich and Austria during German vacation times. Those somewhat correlate with U.S. vacation times, but they have different periods, particularly in August and then ski season, where it seems everyone wants to go to Austria. That particular stretch of Autobahn can be a nightmare of high speed, close quarters driving. There is no such thing as recreational driving on the Autobahn, and even the normally placid and respectful German has been known, on occasion, to get a little cutthroat on the road. There is a protocol, however, and once you learn it you understand that it is not rudeness or pushiness on the roadway, but a system. The drivers are far superior to those you encounter in the U.S. They are trained better and their vehicles are in
much better shape. If you stick to secondary roads, it is not a problem, or travelling at times when traffic is not heavy. I travelled that road several times, and had only one b ad experience--when I was travelling in November, in ske season, and there was a 200 car pileup that actually required us to stop, turn around on the Autobahn at the direction of the polizei, and backtrack to another exit, which promptly filled the secondary roads. Keep a good map, and you can save a lot of time. There are no problems with travelling secondary roads, except that you will not get anywhere very fast. But hey, you're on vacation, and isn' that the point? One last point. In my experience, after you have seen the great sights listed in your travel guide, the best places to go in Germany and Austria are the small towns, the small restaraunts, and the like. It's probably cheaper too, but you'll need a car to get around. Okay, yet another final point. If you have not been to Vienna, give it some thougt. And now, truly, the final point. If you like beer, you should consider Ceske Budjovice, south of Prague and accesible by car. There tehy brew what is in my humble opinion the best beer in the world, and it is called, believe it or not, "Budweiser Budvar", from the German name for the town, which was at one time heavily populated with Germans. I have never been there, as at the time I lived in Germany the Iron Curtain prevented my travel there, but I do plan to be there this year. Having lived in Frankfurt for four years, I will tell you get your car and get out as soon as you have seen the Roemer, but if you have time go to the Restaraunt Isoletta for some of the best Italian food I have had. If yoou have reservations about going to Ceske Budjovice, try going to Alt Sachsenhausen on the south side of the Main River, to a place called Alt Prague, and try the Budweiser Budvar there. It should still be there.

Old Jun 3rd, 1997, 05:34 AM
Linda

I would strongly suggest you purchase a Eurail pass before you go and also get an excursion pass for Prague. Two years ago the pass for Prague was $49 round-trip for first-class train. The excursion pass goes along with a Eurail pass and permits you to enter the Czech Republic by train at any border crossing to go to Prague and back out. The trip from Frankfort to Salzburg is only a matter of hours, also from Salzburg to Vienna and from Vienna to Prague. I didn't spend much time in Frankfort while in Europe two years ago other than to use the train station while going from one city to another. Although all three cities (Salzburg, Vienna and Prague) are beautiful and all have something unique to offer, I really liked Prague the best! While in each city I used the metro's (subways) and had NO TROUBLE getting around at all. I also did a LOT of walking. You really don't need a car. I will forever be a fan of European train travel. (I take a local, commuter train to work each day in Philadelphia, and frequently take Amtrak to Washington, DC for business....the European trains are so far above Amtrak in service, speed and comfort it is not funny!!)

Old Jun 5th, 1997, 11:33 PM
doug home

Hi Linda
Do not even think about a car!
The trains in the area are fast', efficient and
you do not have to try and park them in any of the
towns you mentioned.
Believe me this is the major hassal particulaly Prague where wheel-clamping is an artform add to that the fact that in central Europe at the moment around $US 25 million/yr of cars are stolen and bound for Russia or whatever within 3 hours of their owners parking them!
My wife and I have just returned from this area where we spent 6 weeks with no car.
A some of tips:
Use the national bus system in all the countries to link with the trains.We used the BundesBus in Austria(CSAD is the evuivalent in Czech) and saw some sights that I would not have seen had I been driving-I would have been too petrified to take my eyes of the road!
Plan and book your accomadations in the large cities
esp Prague so when you arrive buy a local map and use the local bus/metro system to get to your hotel
Hope this helps