Frankfurt to Norway

Nov 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Frankfurt to Norway

My husband and I will be renting an RV in Frankfurt next May & June. We'll be on vacation for about 3 1/2 weeks and our main objective is to spend a great portion of our time in Norway but we would like to visit sites on the way through Germany, Denmark & Sweden.

Any thoughts or suggestions on places we shouldn't miss on the way would be most appreciated. We love the outdoors, history, museums, meeting people etc.

I'm thinking we'll head north to Denmark and then over to Stockholm and then up to Trondeim, Norway and down...try to make a circle so to speak...but not firm on anything so any thoughts we're certainly open to your suggestions.

I can't wait to hear your input.

Clarissa
Nov 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Hi!

I think you are in for a nice trip!

Some tips: if you can be in Norway at 17.May I would STRONGLY recomend it. It is the national day, celebrated with childrens parade, etc. It is really the best day to be in Norway all year. So that would be my #1 tip.

Take a look: http://www.nrk.no/magasin/17_mai/1.2443651

Then I would forget about Stockholm as it is really in the wrong direction. Gothenburg is just as nice, but of course smaller. I love it there! And it is in the right direction.

Where in Norway are you going? Maybe I have a tip or two more
Nov 12th, 2007, 02:38 PM

I missed that you are going to Trondheim and back. Then it does makes sence to go to Stockholm

Nov 13th, 2007, 06:07 AM

If you want to stay on a more or less straight line from Frankfurt to Scandinavia, I would limit the stopovers in Germany to small town that are easily accessible from the freeways.

You will probably take freeways 5 and 7 from Frankfurt to the North.

On your way, you get a pretty good impression of small half-timber towns from a stopover in Melsungen (exit 82 on freeway 7).

Another stop could be in Lübeck (exit #22 on freeway 1), if you plan to take the Puttgarden/Rodbyhavn ferry to get to Denmark.

As a more general remark, I would say that many towns or major cities (like e.g. Hamburg) are not necessarily RV-friendly.
Nov 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Loveling for your suggestions, we unfortunately won't be able to make it to the Norway's National Day...my son is still in school.

Are plan is to visit a few of the fjords, the mountains, Bergen, Trondheim and pretty much we're open to suggestions. I'd like to visit some of the open air folk museums.

Cowboy, thank you for your input as well. Do you know how many hours it will take to get to Lubeck from Frankfurt? We probably won't be on the road until 4pm after flying in and getting the RV so we'd be looking for a great place to stay overnight and head out early morning to Denmark.

Any other suggestions are so much appreciated.

Clarissa
Nov 13th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Frankfurt - Lübeck is appr. 550 km, or 5 hours.
The 5 hours are calculated on an average speed of a car, not an RV, so you should add at least 1 hour.

Is it my misunderstanding, or do you plan to pick up the RV in Frankfurt the same day you arrive by plane (from the US? with a jetlag?), drive thru Frankfurt at 4pm in the rush hour, and go a considerably long distance up North the very same day?
Nov 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cowboy,

We will be arriving into Frankfurt about 1:30pm and can pick up our RV after 3pm. Our plan is to drive a little ways outside of Frankfurt and spend the night in the RV someplace. We'd probably drive until dark and then stop for overnight. I know we'll be a bit jetlagged but we've done it before and it worked out great. Any additional thoughts as to a great place to stop for the evening. You've been quite helpful.