Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Frankfurt to Italian Lakes (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/frankfurt-to-italian-lakes-196814/)

Gayle Oct 18th, 2001 09:09 AM

Frankfurt to Italian Lakes

One of our travel options to Europe is a charter flight to Frankfurt. How difficult is it to get to Lake Como, Lake Maggiore, etc, from Frankfurt? Do you drive, take a train, have to go around the Swiss Alps? How long does it take? I don't have access to a detailed map of Europe. Would I end up spending so much because I landed somewhere out of the way, that I might as well fly to Milan?

kk Oct 18th, 2001 09:31 AM

Gayle, last April I flew to Frankfurt and immediately went by car to Bellagio on Lake Como. It is about an 8-9 hour drive...and quite pleasant. My son picked us up at the airport and he was the driver, so it was easy for my jet-lagged husband and me to be passengers. The Alps are not a problem, you just drive on the great roads through the mountain passes. <BR>I have no idea what the train options would be. You will love the Italian lakes!

wes fowler Oct 18th, 2001 10:22 AM

Gayle, <BR>There are an awful lot of factors to take into consideration in making your decision. From a cost standpoint: will the savings realized by flying charter vs. commercial airline offset the cost of travel from Frankfurt to the lakes and back? Are you planning to rent a car when in Italy? If so, you can realize savings by renting in Germany instead, saving about 5% in VAT between Germany's tax rate and Italy's and the cost of Italy's mandatory auto insurance. How many days are you devoting to your trip? The distance between Frankfurt and the lakes is approximately 420 miles. Can you afford the loss of what is essentially two days in traveling from and to Frankfurt? Are you prepared to spend up to 8 hours on the road after a lengthy plane ride? Have you considered the sights and sites to see between Frankfurt and the lakes? <BR> <BR>The European rail network is superb as are the autobahns and highways of Europe. In the absence of a detailed map, you can plot a driving route by going to the website www.viamichelin.com There are a number of websites that will address train schedules and costs, as well. <BR> <BR>

Gayle Oct 19th, 2001 09:05 AM

Driving through the Swiss Alps sounds breathtaking! Where I live there are almost no roads through the mountains. Yes, I could definitely devote 2 days of my trip to the scenery from Frankfurt to the Lakes. Thanks for the Michelin site. I assume I could turn the car in in Italy or France? Some of you suggest doing without a car once you are at the lakes and taking boat trips. Did you feel you saw as much?

wes fowler Oct 19th, 2001 11:29 AM

Gayle, <BR>You'll encounter what may be a significant drop off charge if you drop off a car in a country other than the one it was rented in. You mention France as a drop off point; what is your full itinerary? No need to drop off in France if you'll only be in Germany, Switzerland and Italy. <BR> <BR>During the tourist season, the Italian lakes offer extensive ferry services to even the smallest towns; a car really isn't necessary,however getting from one lake to another can be problematic without one - you'll be limited to bus or train transport.