Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Frankfurt to French Alps--By Car, Rail or Plane? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/frankfurt-to-french-alps-by-car-rail-or-plane-112786/)

Laurie Mar 16th, 2001 01:45 PM

Frankfurt to French Alps--By Car, Rail or Plane?

Hi everyone. We got a great deal on a RT flight to Frankfurt, but are staying in a condo in the French Alps (Tignes-Val d'Isere) <BR>for the first week, which is a timeshare. I'd like to hear your opinions of whether we should rent a car in Frankfurt and drive (I think it's 8 hours), take a train, or fly to Geneva and rent a car there to get to the condo. The rest of our vacation we will be doing a lot of driving so we didn't want to burn out on driving right off the bat...yet I hate to miss the scenery from Frankfurt <BR>to the Alps, since we will be returning to Frankfurt a different way, thru Italy & maybe Austria. Thanks for your input!

Rex Mar 16th, 2001 05:13 PM

I love to drive, but getting right off a trans-atlantic flight can be a tough time to take on a big drive, unless you have slept VERY well (i.e., not in economy class). I think I would take the train to Basel. One nice thing about Basel is that you can get a Swiss, French or German car (thus, no drop charge to return it in its "country of origin"). <BR> <BR>You'll get a nice nap on the three hour trip to Basel. You'll still have 420 km to drive. The website www.euroshell.com will tell you what you might not want to hear - - the first 250 km (to Geneva) will go fast - - about 2.5 hrs - - but then, 3 more hrs for the last 170 km. <BR> <BR>This might be a good reason to make a stop. I strongly recommend the Domaine de Chateauvieux in Satigny - - see www.karenbrown.com/switzerland/satigny.html for more info. This is a pleasant enough little inn about 10-15 minutes outside Geneva, with an extraordinary restaurant. Book a table when you book your room, because their demand for dinner (from locals in the Geneva area) cannot keep up with all of their own guests! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

John Mar 17th, 2001 05:17 AM

Hi Laurie: <BR> <BR>As usual, Rex gives great advice. I would take the train from Frankfurt and rest up from the flight. As far as scenery....you will be in one beautiful spot at Tignes/Val . If, like you say, you will be touring around thru Austria and Italy you should see some tons of awesome sights. Great food and prices in the Piedmont section of Italy. Ahh I wish I was there myself! <BR>JOHN

xxx Mar 17th, 2001 09:33 AM

Any other input? <BR>

Ben Haines Mar 17th, 2001 10:31 AM

Fodors <BR> <BR>Just one train daily runs through to Geneva. Leave Frankfurt Airport 0856, Eurocity restaurant car express, arrive Geneva 1457. But with a change in Basle you can have similar speeds to Geneva any time. If you did arrive at Geneva city at 1457 you could leave at 1516, reach the airport at 1522, leave the International Sector of the airport by bus at 1530, and reach Tignes, Tourism Office, at 1950, to 1 May. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Laurie Mar 19th, 2001 03:08 PM

Thanks everyone! Rex, your idea of taking a train to Basel to avoid the drop charge when we return to Germany was great. We'll probably stay somewhere around Basel instead of Geneva and then drive from there. Any good recommendations for small hotels in this area?