Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

frankfurt, prague, vienna, budapest, salzburg

Nov 10th, 1998, 11:43 AM
FLORENCIA

Hi, me and my boyfriend are planning to go to Europe in december. The cities mentioned are the ones we definitely want to know (maybe plus heidelberg and innsbruck).
We were planning to rent a car but we learnt that there may be some trouble in driving to the eastern countries. Has anyone done this trip?. Anything to recommmend? Are trains a better choice? Thank you.

Nov 10th, 1998, 12:35 PM
Arizona

Trains can save you time and money by taking you from city-center to city-center quickly. December can mean bad roads in Europe -- snow and ice. Some car rental agencies will not let you drive their autos into certain nations because of the dangers of car theft. While in one eastern European country, we saw two young German men try to enlist the aid of local police when their car was stolen. The police said this was a common problem but that they could not be bothered. We gave the young men the cost of a telephone call home because they had lost everything except for a few coins and small bills. We often wonder what became of them; they sent us a letter later enclosing the money we "loaned" them but no note telling how they got home.

Nov 10th, 1998, 01:51 PM
tom

This is virtually the same trip we took a couple of years ago. In fact, we will be making a similar one again this Spring; Munich to Salzburg to Budapset to Cracow to Warsaw to Prague to Miunich. As with the first trip, we plan to travel by train. The convenience of not having to park and deal with traffic in larger cities is worth it. I also enjoy watching the scenery wiythout having to deal with the issues described by Arizona. The Eastern Europe railpass is much cheaper than Western Europe, although it does not include Germany. This makes train travel that much better and more economical. We searched the Deutche Bahn website for times and connmections, it is very easy. Most of the places we will be traveling have very frequent trains. I think it is better than driving although I have driven on at least two trips to Europe.

Nov 10th, 1998, 03:40 PM
Linda

The German rail site is http://bahn.hafas.de & trains are a better way to go. If you travel alot, get a pass; if not, it is cheaper to buy the ticket at the station. For Prague, email [email protected] We used AVE because the guidebooks said they had a better quality listings &, after giving Jana our requests, she found us a great place--Penzion Balbin. In Budapest, we stayed with a retired English-speaking attorney, Dr. Walter Fleps. For $40, you get a bedroom, bathroom & huge breakfast. His home overlooks the city & the view from the terrace is very nice. If you are interested, email me for details. You picked some good cities. In Salzburg, don't pay to see the Royal Lippizan Stallions--check out their practice yard. Be sure to see the Charles Bridge at night in Prague--very romantic. Have fun!!

Nov 11th, 1998, 05:47 AM
dan

Have been to all but Salzburg of the places you mentioned. The train would be best, especially since you are going only to major cities. I don't know how much time you have, but consider 2-3 days for Prague, 1 day for Frankfurt (I would go to Heidelberg or Innsbruck instead though), 2-3 days for Budapest, and 2-3 days for Vienna. From what I know of Salzburg, I would say 2 days there. In any of these cities, two days will allow you to see most of the major and many lesser sites, and three days will allow you to see most everything except all the museums and have some free time for things that you decide to do after you arrive and for shopping.

Must sees:

Prague: Charles Bridge, walk around Mala Strana, Old Town Square, Prague Castle complex, and Jewish Quarter.

Budapest: Castle Hill complex, Danube (maybe a boat ride), Pest, Heroes Square, Gellert Hill (climb it for a wonderful view of the city).

Vienna: St. Stephens Cathedral, Hofburg, Opera House, Art History Museum if you are into art, Schonbrunn Palace, and eat Sacher Torte at the Hotel Sacher.