Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Frankfurt/Mainz/Koln in February??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/frankfurt-mainz-koln-in-february-144791/)

mauld Jul 13th, 2001 08:53 AM

Frankfurt/Mainz/Koln in February???

I'm planning a long weekend in mid Feburary to Germany and was wondering about the weather. Would it be foolish to go to those cities at that time of year (snow storms, generally bad weather etc.). I wasn't planning on driving and I don't mind the cold--but I would be hoping to walk around the 'old towns' of those cities.

Linda Jul 13th, 2001 09:26 AM

Snow in Germany in February is a distinct possibility. Will they have a storm while you are there? Who can say! If any of us had that kind of ability to predict, we'd be rich from our stock market earnings. If you really want to avoid snow, I suggest you go south, like to Naples, or Seville; put off Germany for July. But if you like crisp weather and want to see Germany, take your chances and go. Germany is beautiful in the winter, all white and clean. You may get snow, and it will probably be cloudy, but it may be sunny and beautiful.

Art Jul 13th, 2001 10:19 AM

All of the mentioned cities will be in a party mood. This is in the middle of Fasching and those cities do party. <BR>Cheers, <BR>Art <BR>

Lee Jul 13th, 2001 10:48 AM

Mauld, I lived in Frankfurt and although it can be cold, there usually isn't what I'd call heavy snowfalls in that area. A few inches is about it in the lower areas. Art is right about Fasching, it's pretty much fun and Mainz is really into it. <BR> <BR>The tour boats are not running on the river, but you can either drive or take the train all along the Rhine. You won't have any crowds or fellow tourists, either. Reservations? Just drop in anywhere. <BR> <BR>We've stayed at the Hotel Cafe' Post in Assmanshausen overlooking the river. It's clean, comfortable and a central location for Rudesheim, Koblenz, St. Goar, Bacharach and Mainz, not to mention the 25 castles in that area. <BR> <BR>Just dress warm and drink gluhwein! <BR> <BR>

mauld Jul 13th, 2001 12:32 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is 'Faching', and that being the case, should I book my hotel room early?? I was planning on staying at the Hyatt in either Mainz or Koln (I can get a cheap corp rate and I'm a Diamond with Hyatt). <BR>

Art Jul 13th, 2001 05:39 PM

Mauld, Fasching is similar to Mardi Gras in New Orleans except a lot more fun. They have parades, parties both private and public, masquerade balls and sitzungs (sp). It officially starts at 11:11 am on Nov 11th. (11:11:11:11) and ends on ash Wednesday. A sitting is where they serve dinner and have speakers, mostly lambasting politicians. There is a law in Germany that as long as you stand in a barrel you can not be sued for slander. It took me a couple of years to get enough of the Mainz accent to understand them however. There is another law that if a husband and wife agree to take off their rings and go out, she can not be sued for divorce is she gets pregnant. Those are in the minority however. The masquerade balls or private parties are the most fun. Anyone can go to a masquerade ball and they do dress up with costumes. You would see a lot of cowboys and Indians if you went to one. As Lee mentioned, it can be very pretty there in the Winter along the Rhein or Mosel rivers. Have a great time. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR>

Art Jul 13th, 2001 05:42 PM

Forgot, I would book a little early although most of Fasching is attended by the locals. <BR>Cheers <BR>Art <BR>