Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Frankfurt-luggage gate check? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/frankfurt-luggage-gate-check-733414/)

dragonfly5119 Sep 1st, 2007 10:45 AM

Frankfurt-luggage gate check?

I've been told that there's an 18 pound carry-on limit for the United/Lufthansa flight between Frankfurt and Hannover, Germany. If I arrive to Frankfurt with a 50 pound carry-on from a previous flight, will they let me gate check it for the flight to Hannover? By gate check I mean they would take it from me on the jetway ramp and the baggage handler puts it in the luggage compartment. And then, after arriving in Hannover, the handler puts the luggage on the jetway ramp, where I can pick it up. The airline told me that I either had to check the heavy bag on the previous flights or leave the terminal in Frankfurt to check the bag which would mean missing the flight to Hannover. I just find it hard to believe there is no gate check and was hoping someone had "been there, done that". Thanks very much!!! Gloria

Giovanna Sep 1st, 2007 10:50 AM

Can't you check your bag through to your destination? I'd suggest you call the airlines (both United and Lufthansa) and see what they have to say. I must admit calling an airline you may get three different answers from three different people, but that's what I would try. Ask first about checking the bag through to Hanover.

Alec Sep 1st, 2007 12:20 PM

You will also have to go through security at Frankfurt before taking your connecting flight, and there is a weight and size limitation. They may not let you take it through security, and send you to a Lufthansa counter to have it checked. In which case it will go into the hold and you retrieve it at luggage claim in the usual way.

dragonfly5119 Sep 1st, 2007 04:49 PM

To clarify, before reaching Frankfurt, I will be on several other flights, increasing the chance that a checked bag will get lost on one of the connections. Thus, I would like to carry the bag throughout all the flights.

janisj Sep 1st, 2007 05:05 PM

Since most airlines limit a carry on to 21 inches, what are you carrying -- a box of rocks??

How do you get a normal carry on up tp 50 lbs?

Larryincolorado Sep 1st, 2007 05:37 PM

Janisj,

that is exactly what I was wondering.

J62 Sep 1st, 2007 05:40 PM

In my experience, gate checked bags on LH in Frankfurt get put into the regular luggage hold.

They are sent onto baggage claim at your destination, not returned to the jetway.

CarolA Sep 1st, 2007 05:43 PM

Can you (by yourself!) lift the 50 lb carryon into the overhead on your previous flight? If not, this question is moot. It goes under the plane.

Is your 50 lb bag within the size limits? (As one who routienly travels with a 22" rollerboard I cannot imagine what I could put in it to make it weight 50 lbs....)

And then there was Delta in Nashville. "Gate checked" luggage was sent on the NEXT flight as hold luggage. The station manager instituted this to cut back on people trying to "sneak" a huge suitcase as "carryon" LOL!

rkkwan Sep 1st, 2007 07:11 PM

Gold coins.

dragonfly5119 Sep 2nd, 2007 02:50 PM

To clarify, 50 pounds of Fodor manuals and maps! Actually, that term was "50 pounds" was used as it was a limit mentioned for an earlier airline. The essential point is that the bag will be heavier than the 18 pound limit on the Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt and Hannover. The airline implied to me that their was no gate check option. That's what I'm trying to explore/confirm! If only it was filled with gold coins!

hopscotch Sep 2nd, 2007 03:14 PM

Well dragonfly5119, we see some strange situations from newbies but yours may go down as a classic. If you are starting up a library in Hannover I suggest that you ship the books by postal service "M" bag.

Cowboy1968 Sep 5th, 2007 12:52 PM

No (regular) gate check in FRA. Most people try to schlepp their carry-on into the aircraft. If flight is not fully booked, and FAs have a good day, they let you keep it in the cabin. If not, FAs will get it transferred to cargo bay and in Hannover you'll pick it up at baggage claim.