Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Frankfurt airport/train to Nurnburg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/frankfurt-airport-train-to-nurnburg-1663195/)

Sue81 Feb 1st, 2019 06:58 PM

Frankfurt airport/train to Nurnburg

hi, I think I asked this some time back, but here it is again. I will be flying into Frankfurt via Delta later this year, and then will be taking the train to Nurnburg, about 2 hrs trip by train.. Is it a long distance from the baggage claim in FF to get this train at airport? I am almost certain there is a train that is direct to Nurnnburg, that you do not need to change trains. I have had knee replacement, but will have son along to help with luggage. Would 3 hrs be sufficient to allow to get train tickets ahead of arrival of plane for Nurnburg? Thanks. Sue

janisj Feb 1st, 2019 07:09 PM

Your earlier thread . . . https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...train-1658827/

Seamus Feb 1st, 2019 07:12 PM

Did this a couple years ago. Yes, it is a considerable schlep from baggage claim to the train platform but IIRC there are no stairs that can't be avoided (e.g., escalators, ramps). And yes, train is direct. Three hours should be more than sufficient but always good to build in a cushion in case your flight is delayed. You can always grab a coffee while you wait.

Sue81 Feb 2nd, 2019 06:12 AM

janisj thanks I should have done that, forgot how. Sue

PalenQ Feb 2nd, 2019 07:47 AM

There are two trains stations a Frankfurt Airport- one right near terminals but that is a regional train station - the Fernbahnhof is much further away - no problem getting tickets on arrival and you may want to consider first class too for more room and easier stowing baggages and far fewer people. For lots on German trains check www.bahn.de/en for schedules and general info www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

janisj Feb 2nd, 2019 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16866708)
There are two trains stations a Frankfurt Airport- one right near terminals but that is a regional train station - the Fernbahnhof is much further away - no problem getting tickets on arrival and you may want to consider first class too for more room and easier stowing baggages and far fewer people. For lots on German trains check www.bahn.de/en for schedules and general info www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

You already posted that info and more on the other thread (maybe open the link) -- the OP has already heard it . . .

Macross Feb 2nd, 2019 09:35 AM

Since that seems to be covered take the tunnel once you exit train and you will be inside the old city walls. If you haven't booked a hotel the Victoria is a good but I have said that on other threads. :) Best breakfast there. I miss Germany so much.

Cowboy1968 Feb 2nd, 2019 10:17 AM

OP seems to be under the impression that train tickets must or should be bought in advance.
This would not be my first choice if I was arriving on a red eye flight, had some mobility issues, and did not want to hang out at the not so cosy Frankfurt Airport train station until some pre-reserved train arrived.

If you can afford €62 per person (which is the full flexible fare in 2nd class), you can buy those tickets in advance, too.
Pick any early departure time, and the ticket will be valid on any train from Frankfurt Airport to Nürnberg.
Upon arrival, just head for the train station and hop on the next one towards Nürnberg. There is at least one per hour, but often two per hour.

Sue81 Feb 3rd, 2019 01:21 PM

Hi, We will be getting into Frankfurt around 9 AM from the US. Palen I checked seat 61 to see if discounts, and since this is within Germany/ FF airport to Nurnburg, and just a one way ticket, I don't think I can get a discount thru Seat 61? It seems to direct me to the WWW.bahn/de. Also I want to try to get a senior ticket if it gives discount, and not sure how to designate this. I guess I need to write DBB. We do plan to get a first class ticket. A bit difficult to figure this out, but would like to get a discount if at all possible. How to do this?

Seamus Feb 4th, 2019 10:31 AM

Seat 61 is not a site that sells tickets. It will refer you to the best place to do that. You need to go to bahn.de, select english language and search for the date/times you need. I believe there is no senior discount available for your trip.

janisj Feb 4th, 2019 02:21 PM

>>Seat 61 is not a site that sells tickets. <<

Ditto. Not sure why you thought he sells tickets. That site is sort of an encyclopedia of train travel that gives you all the info you need - - but you have to buy tickets from an actual train company. Discount tickets will be sold on the train sites . . .

PalenQ Feb 4th, 2019 02:41 PM

I endorse your idea of going first class - as those trains serve urban areas where trains can be quite crowded at rush hours and in general - 1st class however is much more likely to have more empty seats and more room for luggage as there are fewer seats in the same-size train car as in 2nd-class.

Sue81 Feb 7th, 2019 04:12 PM

Palen or Cowboy, It sounds like Fernbahnhof is the train I want for the fast train, right? Can you give me an estimate of how far you think it is from the luggage pick up at FF airport/Delta , to the direct/ICE train to Nurenburg, more than a mile? Probably. Thanks.

lavandula Feb 7th, 2019 08:02 PM

I don't work in miles (I'm not from the U.S.), but you will be able to take a luggage trolley to the entrance of the Fernbahnhof, but if I remember, not onto the platforms. It is below the airport and if you have luggage you can use a lift to move between floors. And yes, 'Fern-' means far or long distance, and 'Bahnhof' mean train station, so this is the one you want. It is just a bit further along than the Regionalbahnhof. All this is well-signposted, you should have no trouble in navigating this.

Lavandula

Sue81 Feb 8th, 2019 05:13 AM

Thanks Lav. I had German in college, but it was many years back. I can figure this out and will have adult son along. Appreciate the help.

doug_stallings Feb 8th, 2019 05:20 AM

It's not a mile. I did this a couple of years ago, and while I have no issues with mobility, it didn't seem that taxing, but I can't give you a distance (it didn't feel any longer than the walk from the plane through immigration and on to baggage claim). You walk through the airport shopping mall to get to the ticketing office, and then there's another walk upstairs to get to the actual platform, where I think you can also buy tickets. I didn't buy my tickets in advance (they are readily available), but they are significantly cheaper if you can book a specific train far ahead. I would recommend a seat reservation; while there were plenty of seats, we couldn't always easily find two seats together for the whole trip. We ended up having to move about halfway to Nuremberg.

Reading54 Feb 8th, 2019 07:05 AM

From my experience in May of 2017, it took us about 1-hour total from deplane to claim luggage and clear immigration at Frankfurt airport. The airport is large. An airport employee gleefully told us it was the 2nd largest airport in Europe, only after Paris' CDG.

I'd second the recommendation above to pay (4.50 Euro/pp ?) extra to reserve ICE train seats. If we did not, we'd wind up standing from Cologne to Utrecht Centraal.

Sue81 Feb 9th, 2019 07:00 AM

Thanka all, I can figute it out from here. Sue