Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Frankfurt Airport to Kelsterbach (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/frankfurt-airport-to-kelsterbach-612064/)

katzen May 1st, 2006 09:59 AM

Frankfurt Airport to Kelsterbach

My husband and I will be flying into Frankfurt Airport in July. We are flying on United. We then need to take a train to Kelsterback in order to pick-up our car rental. I think I read somewhere that United arrives in Terminal 1. If so, do I then take the 'regional' train to Kelsterbach?

Thanks for the help!

PalQ May 1st, 2006 10:11 AM

According to the German rail web site there are buses from Terminal 1 to kelsterbach - you can also go by train but have to go into Frankfurt first and change - some departures are from the Fernbahnhof (long distance airport train station) some from regional. For all the schedules for the date you want to arrive go to: www.budgeteuropetravel.com and on their home page click on All european Railroad Schedules and up pops the English schedule page of the German site where you put in the date (european style - date first, then month, then year) and Frankfurt Flughafen (airport) and Kelsterback and you'll get all the schedules for buses and trains. I actually can't access the German site (www.bahn.de) from my computer because my browser won't go there anymore but i can access it thru the web site i mentioned - that site also gives several tips for using the German site, which will tell you which platforms in the airport station and in the intown labyrinth Frankfurt station your train will be on. But buses may be an easier link from the airport it seems, according to the superb German rail site. As they say in Germany have a "Gut Fahrt" - good journey!

treplow May 1st, 2006 10:14 AM

At Frankfurt airport you want to go to the station for local trains, (Regionalbahnhof) not the Fernbahnhof (long distance trains).

There's a train about every half hour and it takes about 18-20 min. to the Kelsterbach Bahnhof (main station.

But you better heck with the rental agency, at which station you should get off. There are several others that may be closer.

katzen May 1st, 2006 10:36 AM

Thank you PalQ and Treplow! Ok, i'll take the regional train and check with the rental agency (Avis) which station to get off. Thanks again!!

JoeE May 2nd, 2006 02:49 PM

Have you considered taking a taxi from the airport to the car rental office? It probably wouldn't cost much more than 10 Euro.
I don't know where the Avis office is because we usually use Europcar which is not near a train station.

katzen May 24th, 2006 07:48 AM

I am considering taking a cab from the Frankfurt airport to Kelsterbach in order to pick-up our car rental from Avis. I thought maybe a train ride on the regional train would be nice. I have the schedule off of bahn.de. The Avis address is Grenzweg 9, Kelsterbach, 65451. I am trying to locate a city map of Kelsterbach so I can see where the train stations are ... in order to see which one is closest to the Avis car rental. I went to kelsterbah.de but it's only in German.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

katzen May 24th, 2006 07:49 AM

... it seems strange that the train ride would take close to 18 minutes ... when the mileage from the airport to Kelsterbach is only 6km. Maybe the stops in between on the train?

PalQ May 24th, 2006 08:35 AM

Train probably does not go in a direct line and yes these are basically commuter trains that stop every few miles or so.

chtiet May 24th, 2006 11:16 AM

Uhhmmm, no, Kelsterbach is the next stop on the S-Bahn trains (commuter trains) out of Frankfurt. Just take the S8 or S9 lines towards Wiesbaden or Mainz, and K'bach is the very next stop from the regional train station in the basement of terminal 1. Should be a 3-4 min train ride. No need to head into downtown Frankfurt first.

katzen May 24th, 2006 11:30 AM

Thank you. On bahn.de I thought I had entered Frankfurt Airport as the departing place to Kelsterbach and that is what showed me the 18 minutes .. I probably did something wrong. I'm not where the train station is in Kelsterbach in comparison to the Avis rental car place.