Frankfurt Airport Question

May 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Frankfurt Airport Question

Hi. We;'ll be coming in on American Airlines to Frankfurt, and I was just wondering about how long it will take us to clear Customs/Immigrations in the FF airport. Also, we need to get to the train station (or stations??) there to go to Strasbourg or Paris. Is that hard with luggage? In looking at bahn.de, it looks like there may be two stations in FF airport - maybe one stop at each terminal?
May 11th, 2010, 07:53 AM

After arrival, you need

- 10-20 min to leave the plane,
- 5-15 min for customs/immigration,
- 10 min for walking to the baggage claim,
- 10-20 min for claiming your baggage,
- 5 min for walking to the train station.

In sum, 40 to 60 minutes.

The train station is inside the terminal. For you, the Fernbahnhof is the relevant station, the other one is for local trains only. It is easy with baggage, you can take baggage carts up to the train station.
May 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM

60min that place is a total zoo!
May 11th, 2010, 08:48 AM

60 minutes or less sounds about right. I flew into Frankfurt recently and it was quick. Unlike CdG where the bags didn't come down for 45 minutes!
May 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Actually you can take the baggage cart right to the train.
May 11th, 2010, 09:52 AM

I nearly pee'd in my pants when my husband and I got separated at Frankfurt Airport looking for the train station platform. We didn't have cell phones, nor a plan in case we got separated. That place is huge!
May 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM

As a former hotel manager, we used to pick up people all the time at the Frankfurt airport. Average time is 45 min. with luggage. If you don't check luggage, anywhere from 20-30 min. Yes, it can take occasionally 60 min. but that is not the average amount of time.

You are correct, he airport is very large, so why not make plans to go to the "Meeting Point" if you get seperated? There is only 1 in each of the 2 Terminals.
May 11th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. I flew into/out of FF airport a couple years ago, but it was from Nurnberg, so I didn't have to collect baggage and all that. I remember it was a little confusing because we had to go from one terminal to another (I think, anyway) but actually pretty easy and fast - certainly a million times easier than Paris! 45 to 60 minutes doesn't sound bad, and taking the luggage cart to the train sounds great. It sounds like I actually have a chance of getting on a 12:54 train instead of the 13:54 one I had my eye on! I think those were from Fernbahnhof, but will check. We're now thinking of going to Stasbourg for the night before continuing on to Paris. I'll tell my husband about the "Meeting Point" - good idea!

This is totally unrelated, but curious: What does "berg" mean, and what does "burg: mean? I keep waffling over how to spell various German cities - "e" or "u"!!
May 11th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Berg = hill, mountain (as in iceberg, by the way), pronounce ber.. like "bear" in English

Burg = literally: castle, but in suffixes of place names it reflects a formerly fortified town, cf. -burgh, -bourg. Pronouce bu.. like "boo" and not as you would pronounce it in words like cheeseburger in English.

And you are right: not mixing up the "e" and the "u" is crucial, as it can take you to totally different towns otherwise. Both suffixes are very common in German place names.
May 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, cowboy! I thought I knew what "burg" meant, but really had no idea what "berg" was. I guess "burg" is pronounced similarly to how "Strasbourg" would be pronounced?
May 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM

Almost. The sound is somewhat similar.
The "g" in French "bourg" is silent, you say only "Strasbour". And the emphasis is on the last syllable.
While in German the "g" is not silent and the emphasis is on the first syllable.
Vowels are pronounced in German almost as phonetically as in Spanish, i.e. the sound never changes, unlike English where the "u" can sound very different when you say "bugle", "burglar", or "bugger".
May 13th, 2010, 02:37 AM

As someone flying into Frankfurt this fall, good information! Thanks for starting the thread. I apologize for hijacking it but I thought it would make sense to have information on LEAVING from the Frankfurt effort together with this information for anyone in the future searching for timings on the Frankfurt airport. So to reverse the original question, how long should you plan for to check in, check baggage, clear security and get to your gate when flying out of Frankfurt to an overseas destination?

Thanks.
May 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Not sure about how long but recently checked bag with AA, went thru customs and only then discovered almost no food or shops on that side of customs. There was a small food and drink stand at inflated prices. Also another store inside gate after you go through Security at gate. So if you are early and want to visit shops etc., wait to go thru customs.
May 13th, 2010, 11:09 AM

b_hall29 - did you really go through customs on an outbound trip? I've transited through Frankfurt but I've never had to go through customs when leaving the country.
May 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Hhm...I'm wondering the same thing - was it Customs or something else? I've only flown in and out of FF once, and not as a final destination or first destination, just as a transfer point. I remember there were (I think, anyway) an amazing 3 security checkpoints just to go from one part of the airport to another. I suppose it was to go from one terminal to the other, but I forget! Of course, at least one or two of those were really short and sweet - not too many people in front of us, so no big deal, and we made our connection with no problems.
May 17th, 2010, 11:50 PM

When you are flying out of Frankfurt in the the USA:

1) Check-in (might take some time, depending on the airline).
2) Security (usually 5-10 min.).
3) If you are leaving the Schengen zone: Passport check (1-2 min.).
4) Walk to the gate.
5) Extra security check by U.S. security staff (10-15 min.).

You should arrive at the airport at least 2 hours (better 3 hours) prior to departure.
May 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM

I remember when leaving Frankfurt some years ago, before boarding, there was a window where we could claim tax exemption on certain duty-free purchases. The only problem was that we had to show the items we purchased which we had already sent thru as baggage. Not a good system, as other tourists had the exact same problem. We had gone back to the check-in counter to retrieve our bags but it was too late. The airlines (Lufthansa) was gracious enough to let us go down into their cargo (pre-9/11) and locate our bags. We were stunned and amazed at how efficient and organized their baggage department was for such a gigantic airport.
May 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM

I flew out of Frankfurt yesterday and there was a sign for declarations or nothing to declare but I think that was an old sign that hadn't been taken down as it didn't have anything to do with anything. It's right by immigration so there may have been some confusion between customs and immigration. Everyone just went through whichever line you're supposed to be in to show your passport.

I think the German transportation system (rail, bus, tram, plane) and Lufthansa are fabulous! At least in Frankfurt. It couldn't have been made any easier. Even I didn't get lost in the system!
May 29th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I had a choice of flying into/out of Paris CDG to join a group in Paris, coming back later from Prague OR flying into/out of Frankfurt. I chose Frankfurt - partly because it was so hard to get back quickly from Prague to Paris, and partly because I figured Frankfurt airport HAD to be much easier than CDG. I do love the efficiency of the Germans!