Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt Airport lay over, Needs help Hotel accommodation and what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going for a 12 Day Mediterranean cruise on November, on returning home, we will be having a lay over in Frankfurt airport for 13 hours, arriving at 9:00 PM from Rome and departing the following day at 10:00 AM going home to USA. Please help any recommendation near airport hotel accommodation and any activities or what to do with this layover time. We're thinking going to clubbing and hire a taxi to drive us around to see frankfurt at night time then drive us back to hotel that night then pick up us in the morning back to airport for departure. Any recommendation? Hotel, places/clubs to visit. Because we don't want to sit in the airport for 13 hours
Thanks,
Michael, USA
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:01 PM

With an arrival at 21:00, why would you sit in the airport? Do go into town, as staying at one of the airport hotels is a drag. The S-bahns whisk you into town in just 11 min.

The Frankfurt Christmas market opens on the 24th, so if you will be here during that time, that is always fun to visit at night. You can of course just walk around town as Frankfurt is quite walkable, go up on the bridges, walk along the river or through downtown, have a look at the Alte Oper, but if you want to hire a taxi, I guess you could. There are certainly enough clubs to visit. Kamehameha Suites, Cocoon Club, or Sky Club seem to be favorits, though I haven't personally visited any of them.

For hotel suggestions, what kind of budget are you looking at? If price doesn't matter, try Roomers.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:16 PM
hsv

I'd also stay in town - it doesnt take long to get out to the airport in the morning.

For hotels, Roomers is indeed a good option.
http://www.roomers.eu/

Otherwise, I like The Pure (close to the station, neighbourhood a bit of an acquired tast, but central, hotel with a clean white design, comfortable beds and a better than average buffet breakfast even offering free vodka, just in case...)
http://www.the-pure.de/

If you'd rather not spend as much, try one of the 2 25hours hotels. The Levis one is centrally located close to the station, offers quirky jeans design, very comfortable beds and a much better experience than prices would suggest. The Goldman one is a few block down from King Kamehameha Club on Hanauer Landstr. in a slightly less central location.

25hours Levis:
http://www.25hours-hotels.com/frankf...ex.php?lang=en

Goldman 25hours:
http://www.25hours-hotels.com/frankfurt/index.php
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:21 PM
hsv

Mind you: with regards to clubs there are 2 King Kamehameha clubs - the one on Hanauer Landstr I believe was the first. The Kamehameha Suite mentioned by Mainhattangirl is more centrally located on Mainzer Landstr. and you'd fare better with any other hotel than the Goldman 25hours.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM

If you're not into clubbing, an evening at one of the apfelwein places in Sachsenhausen is a fun alternative.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 05:00 PM
DAX

I just stayed at the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof (http://www.steigenberger.com/en/Frankfurt) earlier this week, it was really quick & easy to get to from the airport.
The Willy Brandt U bahn station is literally a block away. You can easily walk to the famous Roemer square in the old town where you can try some classic german dishes in traditional restaurants for tourists.

I've passed the proper age for clubbing but had a fun time at a lively Italian wine bar(enoteca) at the nearby Skyper building called INCANTINA (a couple blocks away). They serve fabulous dishes and wines from Emilia Romana for next to nothing in a happy effervescent atmosphere. It was full of locals, young and old, friends and families on a weeknight. The website doesn't do justice but here it is: http://incantina.org/DEU/incantina-frankfurt.htm

Another promising place to stay for two people:
http://www.adina.eu/adina-apartment-...frankfurt/home
It's also a block away from the Willy Brandt station, they had specials as low as 129 euro a night for their modern apartments. I am partial to the Frankfurter Hof for their nice hospitality plus I was alone, otherwise I would have tried the Adina.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
DAX

Another great place to wander in downtown Frankfurt is the Goetheplatz ( a couple blocks from the hotel) which leads to the Fressgasse (food street) and also the Hauptwache area where the busy shopping mile begins. At the Goetheplatz there are a couple of inexpensive, green and modern fast food restaurants Vapiano (Italian) and Mosch Mosch noodle bar(Japanese).
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM

Take the train into the city. Directly across the street form the station is the Excelsior Hotel. You can usually get really good rates on places like hotels.com. It is more of a business hotel, but it is clean, inexpensive and VERY convenient. 20 minutes out of the hotel you are at the airport.

While I'm no fan of Frankfurt, there are tons of ethnic restaurants in the areas around the station, plus the station has it's own variety of great shops.

Dave
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 01:35 AM

or bid on priceline.com and get a very nice hotel for cheap. then train into town to club.. and wake up near airport for your early check in.

Also check hotwire.com.

www.betterbidding.com will show you winning bids for FRA.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 06:28 AM

It is much better to pick a very nice hotel in the city and train out to the airport in the morning. Otherwise, one is stuck with taking a taxi to the airport hotel late at night after clubbing.

Frankly, unless you are staying at the Sheraton or Hilton, you will be waiting on a shuttle to take you to the airport, so no time saved there at all.

The trains only take between 11-17 min.

For dining, check out the Fressgasse area. Eating around the bahnhof can be fun and cheap, but nothing there for a decent dining experience. Or go for dinner somewhere in Bornheim on the Berger Str. or on the Schweizer Str. in Sachsenhausen.

There are some beautiful, hotels in the Westend, surrounded by lovely, turn of the century architecture and old villas.