Italy Guided Tour Companies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning an Italy trip next May. Although we're not usually fond of group tours, we'd like one in Italy because we want to cover a lot of ground easily (from as far north as Venice to as far south as Amalfi). We don't want to bother with trains, public buses or rented cars. Plus, we want the benefit of all the local guides since we love the history and art of Italy.

I'm looking for recommendations on which companies provide small groups, knowledgable guides, and a fair amount of free time and meals on our own. If you can share your experiences, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

x
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 11:02 PM

Well... I and my grandmother went on a Globus tour of Italy this May and we both found it fantastic! It's not exactly small (40-50 people per tour) but our guide was excellent (really funny and had a great personal touch) and he didn't mind people excluding themselves and having more free time if they wished (one young honeymoon couple did just that). Again, you could choose to have your meals alone if you wished as it was an 11 Day tour and they only provided dinner for about five of the nights. We had a local guide in almost every location ( Rome, Florence, Venice, Assisi, Pompeii, Capri ) though some were friendlier/more informative than others. If you would like to read about the tour in (GREAT) detail check out my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...the-report.cfm
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Anyone else?
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM

My daughter and I did the Unforgettable Italy with Grand European Tours. We did exactly what you are wanting. We were in Rome-then to the Amalfi Coast-Crete, Ovieto, Assisi thru Tuscaany to Florence, Venice and flew out of Milan home. We have done several tours with them Spain, Portugal and Vienna, Prague, Budapest and Hungary. We have found them to be a very good company-good guides and seeing many sights. There is also time to do what you would like also.Easy to get info over the phone. Definitely easier than booking all your transpo and hotels when you want to see many places.
Their website is www.getours.com phone:1-866-847-3858
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply!