Frankfurt airport for visitors

Mar 21st, 2007, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Frankfurt airport for visitors

Hi FRA experts,

I am hoping for a little advice concerning activities for visitors at Frankfurt airport.

The story:
My partner and I are considering a day trip to Frankfurt airport with 3-5 elderly relatives, all of them in their 70s, to give them "a sniff of the big world". It's supposed to be THEIR day, not ours. They aren't actually experienced travellers, although two of them have been to Australia to visit their sister who has emigrated ages ago.
We're all Germans living in the Black Forest area, will be going to FRA by train, spend a few hours there and then go back. This means we won't be able to enter any transit or security areas.
None of our "oldies" is actually handicapped but the trip should not include too much walking.

The questions:
1. I read about the so-called "individual tour", a bus(?) tour of 45 minutes out on the airfield, which sounds perfect for our purposes. Has anybody done that or heard about it? Does it include walking, or staying on the bus the whole time?
2. Seems the visitors' terrace is closed for good, which is a pity but nothing to be done about that. Is there any other place in the terminal buildings (again, in the part accessible for visitors) with a good view of the airfield where we could observe the planes taking off and landing?
3. Where to have a quick lunch and/or a coffee? Is there any restaurant or cafe with a view of the airfield?
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance - any help is appreciated.
Kathrin

x-posted on FlyerTalk
Mar 21st, 2007, 04:19 AM

Sorry cannot help with FRA. My wife and I are flying in to FRA in late April. (from Australia) We are going to visit the Mosel area, Wurzburg, Bamberg and Nürnburg. We are looking for advice on other nice places to visit, particularly not large cities but interesting mid size towns. Can you recommend places to consider in the Black Forest area.
John and Jo Walter
Mar 21st, 2007, 07:37 AM

quokka, I really wish I could help you- I've been to the Frankfurt airport a couple of times but my aim is usually to get in and out quickly. I don't remember seeing anyplace there that isn't secure to just watch planes. But here's a link to a map of the airport, I hope it helps you. You've been so generous with your Germany info.

http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com...6.overview.htm
Mar 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM

Kathrin, like L84SKY I am usually too occupied with getting out of or into the airport to pay attention to the views, but there is the shuttle (Skyline?) that goes for free between the tops of the terminals. If I remember, the stations are glass enclosed buildings. You might be able to see something of the field from there, if not from a car going between terminals.

Ballarat, I might suggest Freudenstadt (www.freudenstadt.de), sometimes called the capital of the northern Black Forest. It's not too big, but has the largest town square in Germany, with a lot of hotels, shops, etc. If you are coming from the Mosel area, you can go all the way from there to Karlsruhe with a Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket for €25. The RLP Ticket is good for 2-5 people together on all the regional trains in Rheinland-Pfalz (also into Mannheim and Karlsruhe) all day from midnight to 3 AM on weekend days and from 9 AM on weekdays.

There are regional trains and S-bahns that go from the Karlsruhe Hbf to Freudenstadt. They go along the Murg River, which is very scenic. The fare is €14,20 per person, so you will save just a little if you buy a Baden-Württemberg Ticket from an automat in Karlsruhe for €27.

I would also have recommended Bad Herrenalb or Bad Wildbad, but both are a little out of the way for your route.

When you leave Freudenstadt, there is a rail connection to Stuttgart through Eutingen im Gäu. Your best route from there to Nürnberg is via Crailsheim. Crailsheim is the last stop in B-W on the way to Nürnberg. You can get to there from Freudenstadt using a B-W Ticket for €27.

In Stuttgart you could buy point to point regional tickets from Crailsheim to Nürnberg for €15,60 per person or a Bayern Ticket for €27.

So, if you want to go strickly regional, the entire trip from Freudenstadt to Nürnberg would cost two Länder Tickets, €27 per person. With a standard ticket you could go part way via Intercity train, for €48 pP, and save about 1 1/2 hour.
Mar 21st, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

L84SKY, thanks for posting the link. I had already found that page, though - that's where I got the information about the tour.

John and Jo, may I suggest opening a new thread with a headline of your own, concerning the Black Forest, and more details about your plans? More people will see it, and you'll get better answers than hidden inside a Frankfurt airport thread.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:07 AM

Many thanks Quokka and LarryinColorado. I will take your advice probably on both counts. Am about to go into the websites.
Regards
John and Jo
Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:34 AM

Quokka -

I stayed at the Hilton attached to FRA last month. I very distinctly remember seeing a sign for a tour of the airport - I even remarked on it to my travel companion. Unfortunately - I don't have any information, but I believe it exists... The sign was on the walkway between the hotel and the airport. Maybe the Hilton would know something about it?
Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM

Here is the info on the tiurs at the airport, 45 mins for 5 euros.
http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com...idual_tour.htm