Frankfurt Airport

Jun 21st, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Frankfurt Airport

Anyone remember what type food is available past security at International terminal (Lufthansa). Tried to find out info on line at airport website, but it was all in German. (I had enough trouble with French in school 25 years ago, and would not even begin to try to decipher this!)
Jun 21st, 2003, 12:55 PM

I don't remember right now what food is available, but if you go to the airport's site (http://www.frankfurt-airport.de), look at the top of the page and click on "English" There is all sorts of info about shops and restaurant on the site.
Jun 21st, 2003, 12:57 PM

Now that's what I call thorough trip planning. If you can wait till Sept. I'll check for you; but why risk it, pack a peanut butter sandwich just in case.

Larry J
Jun 21st, 2003, 03:56 PM

gail - I couldn't believe that FRA would not have an English site so I went back and checked. Once you get on the site at www.frankfurt-airport.de you will notice at the very top <home>, <english>, <site map> etc (albeit in small type and no flag). Go from there. It is very intuitive and will list all types of restaurants, types of food served, terminal location and if pre- or post security.
Jun 21st, 2003, 04:02 PM

When we were in there a few years ago there were quite a few restaurants. I recall we had crousants and coffee.
Jun 21st, 2003, 05:10 PM

We fly into Frankfort airport on Lufthansa and have a 3 hour layover for a Lufthansa flight to Dublin... all in Terminal 1. During our layover, are we free to walk around the airport, have lunch, shop. Are we required to go through security again? Thanks for an input. Sandy
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all - I was on a different site that Google sent me to and this one does in fact have an English option. Info is for my teenage daughter - she will be with a group of teenagers and I know they feed them on overseas flight, they have layover in Frankfurt and will not be fed on next leg - with bus to airport in US, extra time necessary to assemble group, etc., it is going to be a very long day and I am sure they will be too excited to sleep on plane - we are even sending her with a some Euros so she can buy something in airport (final destination does not use Euros). Yes, it is perhaps over-planning ahead.
Jun 21st, 2003, 10:02 PM

We had a 4 hour layover at Term. 1 last week. Pick up a map of the airport at one of the information locations (i) and then go wherever you want. The supermarket is fun (particularly on the way home.) There are lots of options. Just be aware that you will need to come back thru security so allow enough time. CJ
Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:29 AM

Terminal 1: Once you get past security there is a restaurant up the stairs in the middle of the terminal. Expensive but reasonably good food.
Terminal 2: There is a cafe but it's a burger place. I've never eaten there but it's probably all right. There is more in terminal 1, it's worth the walk if you have lot's of time.
Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:31 AM

Ditto on the supermarket in the basement level. This one has great food and wine and all kinds of last minute gifts to buy. It also has its' own deli and we usually get great sandwiches for the long flight home.
Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:36 AM

I don't think any of the restaurants in Frankfurt are worthy of bragging about. You can go out of the security area and check out others but of course you will have to pass back thru security again. There is a big cafe right in the middle of the check in area but it can be smokey and sometime crowded. If nothing else there are a los a lot of shops to poke intoi. Be sure you allow enough time to pass back thru security and get your flight..