Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Frankfort Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/frankfort-airport-990201/)

Saraho Aug 30th, 2013 05:58 AM

Frankfort Airport

Is two hours enough to allow to change planes at this airport?

MarthaT Aug 30th, 2013 06:32 AM

It should be. I have changed there a few times and had no problem until a huge snowstorm in Dec. a couple of years ago. I had 2 1/2 hours and I would have missed my ongoing flight but it was delayed.
This upcoming December I have a a little over an hour change on my way home and I know I might miss it but I cannot change flight.

fourfortravel Aug 30th, 2013 07:44 AM

I would think so. We have transferred through Frankfurt with 3 hours and with 30 minutes (not recommended!) travel time. Barring a major issue, two hours should be fine.

adrienne Aug 30th, 2013 07:46 AM

Yes, it's enough time. The transfer times vary greatly but it's never taken me more than an hour to change including going through security.

greg Aug 30th, 2013 07:49 AM

It is Frankfurt, Germany.
It depends. It matters where you are coming from, where you are going to, which airlines are involved, whether you bought these tickets independently or under the same reservation, and whether these airlines have an luggage transfer agreement if you are traveling with checked luggage if the tickets were purchased separately. And they better be the same Frankfurt airport.

nytraveler Aug 30th, 2013 10:32 AM

As noted - there are 2 airports in Frankfurt - and if you have bought 2 separate tickets I certainly hope they are at the same one.

How long you will need to change means:

Will the airlines transfer your checked luggage - or do you have to claim and recheck?

Is either leg to or from the US?

If arriving from the US you will most likely have to go through Immigration since your ongoing flight is probably domestic

Or, if you are headed TO the US you need to allow for the extra security checks required for US fights

I would think 2 hours is enough - unless one of the above applies.

PalenQ Aug 30th, 2013 12:10 PM

If coming from U S planes could be late and I've landed here when the airport was really hectically busy - one of the busiest and most congested airports I've used - I'd build an extra hour in and then if all goes well you may have a few hours to wander around the airport's large shopping mall or get a bite to eat at the many restaurants.

hetismij2 Aug 30th, 2013 12:29 PM

If arriving from the States you will go through passport control assuming you are remaining the Schengen zone after your transfer. US flights tend to arrive early, but close together so there could be a bit of a queue for passport control.

BigRuss Aug 30th, 2013 12:43 PM

I think Frankfort airport is in Kentucky . . .

flpab Aug 30th, 2013 01:14 PM

I have done it with a one hour change to Florence, sort of ran but then the crew was late for connecting so no worry. Great free coffee at the Lufthansa gate.

sparkchaser Aug 30th, 2013 01:25 PM

<i>I think Frankfort airport is in Kentucky</i>

LOL

Mainhattengirl Aug 30th, 2013 09:50 PM

There is only 1 airport in Frankfurt, not 2.

There is an airport in Hahn, where Ryan Air is based, but this is 120 km from Frankfurt. It is called Frankfurt Hahn, simply to confuse people. There are only inter-Europe flights landing there.

susan001 Aug 30th, 2013 10:32 PM

I have one hour & 15 minutes next week to change to a regional jet in Frankfurt. Same airline. It shouldn't be an issue.

Aramis Aug 31st, 2013 03:40 PM

Some of you sure seem to find an inordinate amount of humor in a simple spelling mistake.

seetheworld Sep 1st, 2013 03:48 AM

Frankfurt is a huge airport. I once missed my connection to Hamburg st that airport.

Recently we had a 1 hour connection from Munich to Frankfurt and arrived early to MUC where at check-in the counter changed our connection to give us more time (3 hrs) and it was fine. You should be okay with two hours but don't dilly dally.