Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Franfurt to Wurzburg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/franfurt-to-wurzburg-817707/)

devlex2720 Dec 14th, 2009 11:16 AM

Franfurt to Wurzburg

I have a stop over in Frankfurt and I am contemplating staying two extra days to travel to Wurzburg then Rothenburg In January. Are there hotels in Wurzburg near the train station? Any recommendations? I will have weeks worth of luggage with me. Was thinking to stay in Wurzburg the first night then head to Rothenburg for a day trip and then returning to Wurzburg for the second night and then the following morning back to Frankfurt for a flight. Does this sound doable? Any recommendations or suggestions?

agedude Dec 14th, 2009 12:30 PM

I'd suggest getting a hotel near the Frankfurt airport, using it as a base and taking day trips to both cities. It is a 90 minutes to 2 hour drive to both locations and it's fairly easy. If there are two or more in your group, I'd rent a car at the Frankfurt airport. You could also take the train from the airport if you chose. You could get the car early one morning, drive to Wurzburg, return to Frankfurt, drive to Rothenburg the next day, and return the car that evening. I've driven to both locations as day trips and was pretty satisfied I saw the highlights. With that said, I've also been to Rothenburg 4 other times, spending two nights there on one occasion. It's a great place. Last time I was waiting for a flight in Frankfurt, I stayed at the NH Frankfurt Niederrad. Nice hotel, not too expensive, and they run a shuttle to the airport every 30 minutes. Day trips seem the way to go if you are carrying a lot of stuff.

Gary_Mc Dec 14th, 2009 01:15 PM

There are many hotels in Würzburg within walking distance of the train station. Two that we have use are St. Josef and Barbarossa.

http://www.hotel-st-josef.de/

http://www.hotel-barbarossa-wuerzburg.de/

We pack for a couple weeks but lightly at that.

The Hotel Regina is immediately across the street from the train station.

http://www.hotel-regina-wuerzburg.de/

I once lived in Würzburg and I would not say that the drive between there and Frankfurt am Main was one of my favorites.

Regards, Gary

treplow Dec 14th, 2009 07:08 PM

Just today I made a reservation in Wuerzburg, where I was born. I'll be staying at the Best Western Hotel Rebenstock. With luggage, it's short taxi ride from the station; without luggage you can walk it or take the streetcar close to the hotel back to the station. The center of W. is very compact, and close to the hotel are some good restaurants. Be sure to see the Residenz (alace in town) and the Festung Marienberg (castle overlooking the town) It is one of the best "true" castles (not faux like Neuschwanstein)in Gemany, with lots of history and an excelltn museum. Walking from the castle down to town will lead you through all the fortifications, like pitch holes in the ceiling, etc.

spaarne Dec 14th, 2009 09:57 PM

Staying in Würzburg as you planned is best. If you are driving, know that the A3 Autobahn between Aschaffenburg and Würzburg goes through the Spessart. This is a low mountain range and the road twists and turns. I used to live in Aschaffenburg. Also if you are driving, the A3 approach to Frankfurt can be very busy at times. Better to use the train and maybe rent a car in Würzburg for the day trip to Rothenburg.

For me <i>weeks worth of luggage</i> means a single 22" carry-on. They do have laundromats in Germany. Or maybe you prefer to haul your dirty clothes around.

Mainhattengirl Dec 14th, 2009 10:00 PM

Have done a day trip to Wuerzburg from Frankfurt and it is easy and cheap. Leaving from the Frankfurt main train station, we bought a group ticket (there were 4 of us) for 23 euro to cover our trip to Seligenstadt, and then a 28 euro ticket that covered all of Bavaria. Got both tickets from the ticket machine in Frankfurt, though if you don't feel like messing with this, get them from the counter for an extra 2 euro fee. This was a non-stop train, so did not have to change trains, and it took 1 hour and 50 min. Our tickets covered the buses and trams in Wuerzburg and our trip back home. Thought 51 euro was a good price for 4 people and we could have added one more. We left Frankfurt at 08:30 and by the time we were in Bavaria, it was 9, at which time the Bavaria Lander tickets become valid.

The Residenz in Wuerzburg is simply gorgeous. Make sure you go on one of the free tours, otherwise you will not get to see one of the wings. I think the English tour is at 11:30 and 15:30.

I would not stay out by the Frankfurt airport. What a soulless place to stay. Not when you can get into the city in something like 11-15 minutes with the S-bahn. Why pay the higher prices and be out in the boonies instead of being in a lively city with great nightlife. It is easy to catch trains at the Frankfurt Main station too, rather than at the airport. You could also leave your luggage at your hotel in Frankfurt if you do not want to schlepp it with you. Most places will let you do this.

Echnaton Dec 15th, 2009 01:37 AM

Besides the Palace (a UNESCO World Heritage), Würzburg is a charming historic town which is renowed for its wine ("Würzburger Stein", "Juliusspital"), so I recommend to stay there in order to enjoy the evening. You have got hotel recs, otherwise check www.hrs.de

JulieVikmanis Dec 15th, 2009 01:54 AM

Consider yet another option--Aschaffenberg. It'a almost midway between Frankfurt airport and Wurzburg and just off the freeway that connects the two. I'ts a lovely little town with its own castle and nice walks around a lake/pond. The Hotel Post was our pick when we stayed there long ago. Nice little restaurant. Or, if you don't mind packing and unpacking, spend your first night in Wurzburg and your second in Aschaffenberg to be closer to the airport.

kfusto Dec 15th, 2009 09:55 AM

Having been very recently to both Frankfurt and Wurzburg, I would most definitely not day trip but stay in Wurzburg. It is just lovely! We plan to go back and spend more time there.

Frankfurt we did not care for and would minimize our time there as much as possible.

Mainhattengirl Dec 15th, 2009 11:59 AM

kfusto - What did you do while in Frankfurt? I am curious. Any walking tours, visit any museums or go to any cultural events? Did you go dine anywhere here? Go to any of the beautiful medieval churches in the city center? What makes you not like this city?

kfusto Dec 15th, 2009 01:16 PM

We did what we generally do when in a city for the first time: Get a map, walk the city center, stopping in churches and other points of interest to us.

We visited several new cities on this latest trip and really enjoyed several; others not so much.