Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   France Wine Road-Alsace: Town and Hotel help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/france-wine-road-alsace-town-and-hotel-help-183971/)

Dick Yeager Mar 28th, 2002 10:35 AM

France Wine Road-Alsace: Town and Hotel help

The end of May,my wife and I decided to kick back for a couple of days and do the Wine Road in the Alsace region of France. <BR><BR>I have booked the Hotel Arnold in Itterswiller with a view overlooking the vinyards. They also have a restaurant and gift shop. We will be there for two nights.<BR><BR>I thought this might be a good location to browse the area.<BR><BR>Any thoughts? Does anybody know where it is, etc.?<BR><BR>Dick Yeager

StCirq Mar 28th, 2002 11:11 AM

Itterswiller is 6 km south of Barr, which is about 10 km south of Obernai. It must be just a speck of a village, because I had to use an amazingly detailed map to locate it and none of my major guidebooks mentioned it. My 1985 Hachette guide mentions it under places nearby Barr and recommends the Arnold, though, so it clearly has a longstanding reputation. The guide also recommends, in Itterswiller, the Caveau Folie Marco restaurant and the Wantz wine cellars. If they're still in existence you might want to check them out.

top Mar 28th, 2002 02:47 PM

topping<BR>

traveler Mar 28th, 2002 03:40 PM

I'm jealous! We were there at this time last year, and fell in love with the area. It is absolutely charming! We will definitely go back one day. Enjoy!

Dick Yeager Mar 29th, 2002 05:05 AM

Thanks for your feedback. Looks like we are making the correct choice.<BR><BR>Dick

Diane Mar 29th, 2002 08:21 PM

We stayed at a lovely hotel in Ottrott, very close to Obernai. www.amifritz.com<BR>You can read about it and see a photo on my webpage<BR>www.travelswithdiane.homestead.com/trip2001pg5.html<BR>It is reasonably priced. We had a large, beautiful room; the breakfast was extensive and the breakfast room is all no-smoking. Our room overlooked a garden. Free parking. Excellent value.

richardab Mar 29th, 2002 08:34 PM

I was in Alsace a few years ago and thought it was one of the best trips I ever took. I am not sure of the area you are staying but I loved the Riquwihr and Ribeauville areas. I felt that this was very central and had lots of restaurants and sights. The food in Alsace is amazing and the people are sooooo friendly. Did you plan a day in Strasbourg? Its really a nice city. By the way, I did not like Colmar. Have a blast!

Dick Yeager Mar 30th, 2002 06:08 AM

Richardab,<BR><BR>Originally we planned to spend a night in Strousboug. The more I thought about it, the more i wanted a little less "city" and more country.<BR><BR>I decided to take one day away from Meersburg and eliminate Stasbourg...Viola!! Itterswiller!!!!!<BR><BR>Dick

tripps May 23rd, 2002 01:40 PM

RE: Hotel Arnold...Can anyone say whether to stay in the main hotel building or the reserve? How was the winstub?