France to allow wood shavings in wine

Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

France to allow wood shavings in wine

Yes, we all know the Americans already practice this technique but I wish the French would come up with better marketing for their wines instead of joining the MacDonald practices of the US wine industry:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/14246214.htm

I especially like the last quote in the aritcle of a wine bar in Paris: "When you put wood shavings in wine...you can no longer speak about aroma, you must speak about odor, like you would for a chemical product,...for me this is the beginning of the end."
Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:59 AM

It's a shame in concept but the difference in taste is probably undetectable. Their industry is hurting and I guess they feel they have to do this..US is not the only country in which it has been allowed. First sugar, now wood chips....
Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:16 AM

How informed is one small bar owner's opinion? He uses inflammatory language, but is what he says true? Could you tell really the difference in a blind taste/smell test?
Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
ira

>Could you tell really the difference in a blind taste/smell test? <

Since no one has done it yet, it would be hard to tell.

However, a lot depends on the particular wine.

I suspect that this is being done to allow French vintners to produce wines that taste more like the overoaked California Chardonnays and Cabs that the US consumer has become used to.

Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:26 AM
Neopolitan

"OVERoaked Cabs?" Oh, I don't think that's possible. Give me a wonderful Silver Oak Cab that I can almost chew the oak and I'll die happy.

Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:54 AM

Change is scary and often produces an emotional response; especially in France. Maybe its too early to tell if people should start talking about "odors" and no longer about aroma.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:55 AM
ira

>"OVERoaked Cabs?" Oh, I don't think that's possible. <

I rest my case.

Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM

Ira they will add wood chips mainly because it is cheaper than having to buy those expensive oak barrels or barriques.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:34 AM

If the idiot barman quoted in this article really believes Australian vinification techniques are a "McDonaldisation", it's no wonder France is losing worldwide market share to Australia as quickly as it is.

Australia and New Zealand are killing the middle-to mediocre end of the French wine industry - because they produce wine customers want to drink, while the French produce wine they want to make. Now they're biting into the expensive end too.

If the French had always been as insensitive to consumer demand as some posters want them to be, they'd still be producing, in amphoras, the glorified vinegar the Romans taught them to make.