Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   France - social workers or ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/france-social-workers-or-928247/)

iowamom Mar 19th, 2012 05:30 AM

France - social workers or ?

I also posted this in the Lounge but hoping some folks in France can help:

FIL (whom I also posted about on the iPhones in France topic) lives in Paris with his wife. He had a heart attack last fall and as a result, is having some short-term memory issues. I suspect his wife is overwhelmed as his full-time and only caregiver; we will be there next weekend and should better be able to assess the situation but DH has spoken with her twice in the last couple of days and said she sounds exhausted. Any relief we can offer her will be just for a few days.

I don't know if she doesn't feel comfortable reaching out for help or doesn't know where to (she is French and lived in France for most of her life so I expect she is familiar with the French medical system) or doesn't think they can afford it or maybe something else altogether. But I was hoping someone out there in Fodorville might be able to give me some guidance or suggestions so that we can possibly steer her in the right direction to find some help. Are there social workers or something similar that one would talk to in this situation?

Dr_DoGood Mar 19th, 2012 07:03 AM

If you look at your lounge thread you'll see I've answered your query there.

Pvoyageuse Mar 19th, 2012 07:22 AM

By all means she should contact your FIL's GP. He is the one who can help at this stage.

Michael Mar 19th, 2012 08:22 AM

My experience is that home care outside emergency care is limited in France. A friend of mine had to take care of his very sick wife--her last year was, according to everyone, pure hell for him. Both people who lived all their lives in the area and presumably knew the system. The nurse came regularly for medical check ups, and said one day: Other men in your position would have simply walked away -- which implies that there is no other solution. He had someone come in once a week to clean the house, and that was partially subsidized, but otherwise he was on his own. When his wife fell down (she was heavy, and he is in his seventies), he had to call the equivalent of 911.

I suspect that the French wife has looked to see what type of help she can have. There may be an unofficial system of under the table payment to mainly undocumented women, but the link to that system will not come through official channels.

Carlux Mar 19th, 2012 10:24 AM

Our experience is just the opposite, at least for home medical care. We have friends who have nurses come in 4 or 5 times a day for various injections, medical checks, etc.

There is often help available through the Mairie. I know several people who work with the elderly, helping them with daily living.

Michael Mar 19th, 2012 10:27 AM

Carlux,

I make a distinction between medical care and long-term home care. I mentioned that it was the visiting nurse who obliquely suggested that the man walk away from the situation.

kerouac Mar 19th, 2012 10:40 AM

Nurse service is regular and fully covered. What is generally not covered is full time living assistance, with a qualified person in the home all day (and/or night). I would be very surprised if anybody here can say that it is a guaranteed free service in their country.

Housekeeping assistance is available in most places for the elderly or the ill, either on a municipal or departmental level.

Michael Mar 19th, 2012 07:07 PM

I had 24 hour coverage for my mother under Medicaid. But given the low salary of the help, I will never be able to be appointed Attorney General.