France river Cruise

Aug 6th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

France river Cruise

Hello,I just came back from my european vacation and I am already thinking of what to do next year.
Since our trip together to Italy and France , two years ago, my husband developed a hip problem, therefore walking is out of question, besides he knows the country ( France). Anyway, perphas I was thinking about a nice cruise in the wine regions...
Would love to hear your suggestions.
Thanks,
PS. I am the one that goes away all the time, and it will be my way to thank him in being so understanding..

kismet
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:02 PM

Hi Kismet,

I would recommend a barge cruise. Check out this web site www.bargeconnection.com. Their staff person Crystal (she maybe the owner) was fantastic and gave us great advice. We sailed on the Clare de Lune along the Canal du Midi. It was simply outstanding. Would do it again in a heart beat. Very relaxing and a totally different way to see/feel/eat and view France.

Happy trails!
Aug 7th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Jiuliana,
Thank you for all the info. I checked the webb site that you recommended..Tell me please, how large are the vessels? Is there any privacy if we take the Hotel barge?
It seems so much fun, I am going to search all the info. available about the cruise.
Ciao,
kismet

Aug 7th, 2003, 01:06 PM

We took a barge trip in Burgundy--24 passengers and 6 crew members. It was absolutely wonderful. The food was incredible, the service impeccable and complete. Plenty of privacy if you want it in your room. A little bus went along with us for transportation to the sightseeing/wine tastings. Check Abercrombie&Kent. The barge was operated by Continental Waterways.
Aug 7th, 2003, 01:18 PM

I was on the Anjodi on the Canal du Midi this Spring. Wonderful trip! I booked through bargelady.com. The Anjodi is also operated through Continental Waterways. Their barges are usaully small - 8 to 12 passengers.
It was the most relaxing trip I have ever been on. Watched France float past when I wasn't eating wonderful food and drinking wonderful wine. There was a van excursion somewhere every day. But always back to the barge for meals.
I highly recommend this type of trip. I certainly plan to do it again!
Re privacy: The cabins are tiny but with their own ensuite baths.
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Gretchen and Judy, Thanks a lot...it seems like a nice relaxing trip.....I will check the site...
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:03 PM

have any of you known anyone to take this trip by themselves or is it usually couples. I would like to go by myself.
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:11 PM

In 2001 we used the Crown Blue Line in the south of France. The boat was wonderful and so were the people running the company. We plan to use them again in the future.
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Madison,
When I went in April I went alone. There were 3 couples on board (the barge has 4 cabins). I had a ball!! AND, I didn't have to share any of the tiny cabin space with anyone. The cabins are small enough that you would only want to share with someone of whom you are extremely fond.
Don't hesitate to go as a single!
Judy
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:22 PM

I neglected to mention that we had 7 passengers and a crew of 4!
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:25 PM

AnotherJudy - thank you
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

For gretchen,

Do you remenber the name of the barge?
I looked at the webb site, but there are numerous barges, some are very expensive....Can you please give me more informations?
Thanks a lot,
Kismet
Aug 9th, 2003, 08:00 PM

A friend and I did a barge cruise in 2001, on the Doubbs and Saone Rivers/canals. It was a Continental Waterways, the Marguerite, with room for 20 and a crew of about 6. Most companies offer early and late season discounts on barge cruises. Another company is e-waterways and frenchhotelbarge.
All the good things said above are true about the barge trip. The food is "gourment" and the wine--ah!!!Also many different types of cheeses; all of which are usually described in detail prior to serving/or drinking, etc.
The only problem might be that there is usually a "circular" staircase (or similar) to the lower level where the rooms are, so if your husband has a problem with steps, it could spoil his enjoyment. my husband would have found the cabin cramped--but I think, after hearing me praise it, he would be willing to try.
Just the regular river cruises are also great ways to see the sights--at least according to friends who have done at least four.
I'd do a barge cruise again--but they are expensive. The one we took was a "not sold out" one so, it was 2 for 1--what a "never to be found again"
deal. but I can hope. MHM
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:05 AM

We were on the Lafayette which is chartered by A&K for the season from Continental Waterways. I think it is the nicest of their barges--a really nice covered deck outside gives more room than just the interior dining/lounge room for reading and relaxing. We were supposed to be on the Mirabelle which is also very nice but without the covered deck--just an open deck area.