Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   France Part Deux - Itinerary Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/france-part-deux-itinerary-advice-1287367/)

candj83 Apr 30th, 2017 03:13 PM

France Part Deux - Itinerary Advice

DH and I are returning to France this fall. We've settled on Paris and the Loire Valley for this trip; our first trip was Paris and Normandy. France is our favorite place that we've been so far and we are really looking forward to returning and getting to know her a little better. Our tentative itinerary:

<b> Thursday September 28: </b> Flight out

<b> Friday September 29: </b> Arrive CDG 7:30am. Drop bags at hotel if room isn't available that early; hotel located close to Odeon stop. Take RER to Foire de Chatou. <i> Backstory: we went to the Foire de Chatou two years ago and it was an absolute highlight for me. So, we are structuring this trip in order to visit it again (and it ends the weekend we arrive, thus the scheduling at the beginning of our trip. </i> Maybe take a Seine boat tour this night.

<b> Saturday September 30: </b> TGV to Tours, pick up rental car. Visit Chateau Chenonceau.

<b> Sunday October 1: </b> Visit chateaux Chambord and Chaumont-sur-Loire.

<b> Monday October 2: </b> Visit Chateau d'Azay-le-Rideau, not sure what other sight to combine with for this day. Would like to visit Chinon Fortress and Fontevraud Abbey but am concerned it may be too long of a day.

<b> Tuesday October 3: </b> Drop rental car and TGV back to Paris. Check back into hotel from first night. Do a self-guided food tour through St Germain and explore. Visit Arc de Triomphe at night.

<b> Wednesday October 4: </b> Saint Chapelle Cathedral, Rodin Museum, Eiffel Tower views from Champ de Mars.

<b> Thursday October 5: </b> Take a croissant making class at Patisserie a la Carte. Explore Montmartre. Go up Sacre Couer.

<b> Friday October 6: </b> Musee d'Orsay, Opera Garnier, views from top of Printemps Haussmann.

<b> Saturday October 7: </b> Ideas??? Thinking about exploring new areas to us (Canal St Martin, Luxembourg Gardens, etc). We're open all day except for meeting friends from Switzerland for dinner.

<b> Sunday October 8: </b> Flight home

Particular questions/comments for help with our itinerary:

1. The popular question: Where should we stay in the LV considering the chateau on our shortlist? Possible places to stay: I'm considering Chenonceaux just because we could see the chateau in the evenings? Loches looks beautiful but is it too quiet? I'm seriously interested in Tours with its medieval architecture but I've read driving can be difficult. And, of course, Amboise, that seems to be incredibly popular with many travelers. Most important to us is accessibility to sights we will be visiting, good dining in the evenings and a nice atmosphere for the city/town itself.

2. October 1 - what should we combine with Chateau d'Azay-le-Rideau? I am interested in Chinon and its fortress and Fontevraud Abbey. Are these three sights in one day a comfortable day or too much?

Our Paris days are in no particular order. Only thing we'd have to structure around is that croissant class (if we do it - DH could care less about it but I thought it would be fun - so that's flexible for us) and meeting friends for dinner Saturday night. Our previous Paris trip we did a lot and we were <i> busy </i> (Versailles, City Wonders Walking Tour with Notre Dame, Louvre and Jardins Tuileries, Musee de l'Orangerie, brief exploration of Montmartre (want to do more in-depth this time), going up the Eiffel Tower, Cluny Museum, Rue Mouffetard, Places des Voges). So, we're hoping to slow down a bit this trip and relax a little more and soak up Paris. Any ideas appreciated!

Michael Apr 30th, 2017 03:19 PM

<i> I'm considering Chenonceaux just because we could see the chateau in the evenings? </i>

Not necessarily, as the château is not visible from the town or the road; it is at the end of an alleyway from the parking lot.

candj83 Apr 30th, 2017 03:23 PM

Thanks Michael - I thought I'd read you could see it but if that is not the case, it would make for an easy elimination.

Cathinjoetown Apr 30th, 2017 05:52 PM

We've stayed at this Amboise hotel several times, we like the rooms, off-street parking and the small restaurant. Also walking distance to the chateau and other restaurants in the town.

http://www.leclosdamboise.com/en/

I like Blois but it's in the opposite direction of Amboise to Azay, better combined with Chambord although none of the distances are great.

Croissant making, I don't know, it's lots of folding, rolling, chilling, repeat. I think I'd rather have a lesson on something I'd likely try again and croissants wouldn't be one. And, given your husband isn't too interested.

shelemm Apr 30th, 2017 07:30 PM

If you are going to be near the grands magasins, then make sure you see the dome inside Galleries Lafayette. It is stunning. Also, in the food area inside GL you can buy some of the extraordinary Bordier butter with sel craquant, and make your self buttered croissants and baguettes in your hotel room. Also, the green tea or lemon dome pastries at Patisserie Aoki at the GL food area are some of the best that Paris have to offer. In general, the food choices inside GL provide one of the best quick lunches you can have in Paris in case you are not in the mood for a full meal at lunch.

menachem May 1st, 2017 03:07 AM

about the croissant making class: they'll have prepared for you. In fact, all you do is watch the baker do a few turns, and cut out the dough. You get to roll a few croissants. Meanwhile they'll explain the process to you. Afterwards you'll be able to eat or take home the croissants you rolled.

i'd give it a miss.

Jennifer_Travels May 1st, 2017 07:33 AM

On my last trip, we walked on the Promenade Plantee. We really enjoyed the walk and the views out from the structure. Take a look at the photos in this link to get an idea of what it is like.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/la-promenade-plantee

candj83 May 1st, 2017 09:55 AM

Cathinjoetown, thanks for the recommendation! It looks great and has availability so may be it!

And, thank you (and menachem) for the tip on the croissants. Sounds like we will give them a pass.

shelemm, thanks for the tip on Galleries Lafayette! We haven't been. It does look stunning. The hotel we have selected has an optional breakfast (which seems expensive) and I will be perfectly happy to have breakfast in the room. We will have to look for these foods you recommend - we love all things food so that will be fun :)

Jennifer_Travels, thank you for this suggestion! It looks great.