France 'out' Germany 'in'

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi; Our granddaughter was going to Rennes in September for a semester, but was on the waiting list. Another opening came for Central Europe and without being on a list she took it [more friends]. So, Germany in September, Hungary in October and Romania in November for her schooling. Considering the weather, we chose Germany to visit. We perceive, clear weather in September, but unsure of weather in the other countries later in the year. So, University is in Tubingen and we are considering the Hotel Am Schloss. Has anyone stayed there? We love 'old'. But we would listen to any suggestions for hotel's in Tubingen or the weather later in the year in Hungary or Romania. Our intent is to make this a quick trip of seven nights. A good thing about Germany, is we can get direct flights to either Frankfurt or Munich from Boston and would probably stay one night near the airport. Thanks iris1745/dick
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you're right, usually in september germany has wonderful weather (don't hold me liable if this will not apply for this year...), it is a good time to visit.

you should fly into frankfurt from where it is a relatively short trip to tübingen. i have no idea about hotels there. you may check the city website for accommodation info and hotel links: http://www.tuebingen.de/en/1566.html

as for november weather in romania, it depends on where you wish to go. the country has large mountaineous areas with severe weather conditions not being uncommon. the coastal area should be warmer even in november due to the black sea.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Holly Thanks; We have been in Germany in July before. But wasn't sure about the weather in September. It probably will be the latter part of the month. Dates for the University have not been set yet. The kids will also go to Berlin for a week. iris1745/dick P.S. I just replied to one you had replied to with a little different twist.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 01:03 PM

berlin will be great.

as for the other reply you mentioned, i thought that distances in germany are something like short even for eastern americans. anyway, what i told was based on my personal perception. i love driving and do it a lot and no distance seems to be too long. actually this is something i like about driving in the states. as for your hints in the other thread, i fully agree. anyway, there is so much to see that it will be very hard to make a proper selection. but now i won't go ahead wandering from your subject...
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Ooh, we loved Tuebingen. We were there in September 2007 and the weather was pretty good. A little sprinkle but nothing too bad.

You must visit nearby Hohenzollern Castle. It's amazing. Also nearby and very much worth visiting are Herrenberg and Hechingen.

Here are some of the photos we took in the area in 2007:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/561...xDcvw?start=12
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi Holly; Hi Bettyk; Betty, enjoyed the photos. Been to most of the places in the area you have been to Betty, but not Tubingen. Thanks for the suggestions on the castles. My wife at dinner mentioned we must visit our friends in Austria. About 50 miles north of Salzburg. Raga visited us in December. So now we wait for exact dates and then we will plan the trip. We will go with a weekend involved, so we can maximize our time with our granddaughter. On the Mosel, we stayed in Cochem before going to Trier. We visited many towns on the Mosel. A good thought would be to spent a night at Berbkastel-kues. Planning this trip is pretty easy, as we will go for only seven nights. Holly; Your right. Everyone is diferent how they escape being sleep deprived. If we get in our car at 8 or 9am, we are on the go usualy until 2 or 3 pm. Then we take a two of three hour nap and we are then fine the rest of our journey. Other peope do it diferent. Whatever works. I appreciate your comments. Thanks both. iris1745/dick