France or Italy for a week in Feb.?

May 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

France or Italy for a week in Feb.?

Hi everyone,

My mom and I are looking into taking a trip next February. (I am a teacher, so I can only travel on school vacation weeks.)

Right now, we are thinking of Paris and Rome. We would have a week. I have been to Paris before (for 4-5 days 12 years ago), and my mom has been to Rome for a long weekend (7 years ago.)

Which would you do, and why? Would you combine the 2 (say Paris and Venice or Paris and Rome), or maybe do Rome and Venice?

Also, right now, airfare is about $600 going to either Paris or Rome/Venice/Milan airports. Is that a fair price for a busy school vacation week (from Boston) in winter?
May 18th, 2006, 10:09 AM
rex

The fare you're talking about sounds like the AirFrance sale that ends tomorrow. They will actually allow a triangle itinerary on this fare, and it can include the segment between Paris and Italy.

So, the combine can be the same price as either alone.

Including some of Italy should provide some days with milder weather.

Best wishes,

Rex
May 18th, 2006, 10:17 AM

I have traveled to both Paris and Rome during the February school vacation week. Hard to choose between them for you, they are both wonderful. Rome was a little less cold, but not wonderful weather in either place in February. I have enjoyed trips that combined two cities, including a trip to Paris and Rome once in March, when I had eight nights. I don't know whether I would do it if I only had six nights, but if I had seven I might.

February vacation week is a very tough ticket from Boston, so I would not wait too long to book a fare. Air France is having a sale this week only, but when I checked it appeared that flights during February vacation were no longer available at the sale price.
May 18th, 2006, 10:24 AM

If you go to Paris, I highly recommend looking for a hotel room with a nice bathtub. I love winter travel, but I find that sinking into a steaming bath after a day out in the cold makes me much happier!

When we were there in late January of 05 it was quite cold but we had a huge bathtub and down duvets, so we were very snug in our hotel, making the cold much more friendly.
May 18th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It's actually NOT the Air France sale that I'm looking at, it's just regular fares on Orbitz. The Air France sale doesn't work for that week b/c it's a school vacation week.

I know the weather won't be perfect, but it will be better there than here

Please keep the tips and suggestions coming!
May 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Some of my best traveling companions are teachers, so we've taken winter and spring break trips before. I've been to Rome for a sunny-but-coolish Feb. trip and I say (surprise, surprise) Rome. Paris is so gray in the winter, and that's part of what's lovely about it. But there's something about the colors of the buildings in Rome that brighten even a dreary winter's day.

If you have a full 9 days, eight nights including travel, I'd tack on Venice if you haven't been. Or you could consider an overnight in Assisi or a day trip to Oriveto.

Have a great trip. $600 sounds fair to me.