We are a family of five with 3 boys ages 15, 13 & 10. We plan to take a trip to Europe this June for 3 to 4 weeks. That trip will definitely include 4 nights in Normandy and 3 nights in Paris. The remainder of the trip is up in the air and I would like to ask for any advice or input regarding the suggestions below.
A bit of background, we took a similar trip of just Italy in 2011 with the kids for 3 weeks. That trip was absolutely wonderful, even with the youngest being only 7 at the time. We did lots of walking with no complaints. We covered Rome, Venice, Dolomites, Cinque Terre, a bit of Tuscany-Volterra, San Gimignano and Sienna. We took a train from Rome to Venice and had a car for the rest of the trip. We were able to balance sight seeing with lots of outdoor activities and wonderful food. We also made a visits to several ancestral villages of mine.
Okay on to the future trip. For the second segment of the trip I am entertaining these 2 options or any suggested itineraries from others. Looking for what kids would enjoy. Like to keep the driving stretches under 5 hours, ideally 3-4 hours every 3-5 days.
Option 1: Stay within France, going south to Provence. Stay in a rental for a week there with lots of possible day trips. This could be combined with either Burgundy or Dordogne to fill out 14+ more days. I would probably do this portion first and Normandy/Paris last to avoid some of the D-Day Anniversary crowds.
Option 2: Fly into Munich, home from Paris. From Munich do a circle including Prague, Ceske Krumlov, Salzburg or Innsbruck area, return to the Dolomites/Northern Italy & Tyrol region-4-5 nights, Fussen-castles and back to Munich. Fly from Munich to Paris. Again 14+ days. My husband and I have done this trek before, he loved Prague. I think Budapest would be an outlier.
When I asked the kids, they all asked if we could just go back to Rome! We rented an apartment there and they loved the sites, the food and gelato.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 BROTHER PRINTER 1800:681 :7208 installations CONTACT BROTHER Techh care
- 2 Black Friday in Britain? Why?
- 3 Tips for first trip to UK
- 4 Malaga Christmas lights
- 5 Help with suggestions for Portugal 2 week trip
- 6 Portugal
- 7 Paris November 2017
- 8 Scotland ideas
- 9 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 10 Anyone ever used a resort for a day in Santorini??
- 11 What To Do in Athens on a Sunday
- 12 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 13 paris to london- day trip
- 14 Planning a Poland itinerary
- 15 The World's Greatest Churches
- 16 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 17 U.K. Website & 1-Way Flight Booking Questions
- 18 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland
- 19 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 20 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 21 Three Island Greek Itinerary
- 22 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 23 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 24 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 25 US dairy vs European Dairy