Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France now has Foot & Mouth - time to cancel plans?

Mar 13th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Bruce

It's now on the continent & still spreading...the U.S.D.A. is now taking action on travellers to ALL European countries. Seems like some people are pretending there's not a problem there...why plan a European vacation while so many things you may want to do will not be possible? ( Like eating meat, walking in the country, etc) No wonder the airlines are coming up with a bunch of low priced deals right now.....

Mar 13th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Rex

Why not eat meat?

Only if you are another farm animal, should you not eat meat.

Mar 13th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Fred

Why cancel? Foot and Mouth Disease doesn't affect humans. Now if you were a cow who always dreamed of going to France that would be different.

Mar 13th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Elsie

Oh Freeeeeeeed.... my life's dreams destroyed in a single post.. Shall I never graze down the Champs Elysee?

Mar 13th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Cowgirl

Oh, please Elsie, don't be too disappointed. It's not a real champs, anyway. God, I hate to disillusion an ungulate.

Mar 13th, 2001, 05:46 PM
xxx

Ungulatory disillusionment.

God, now that's poetry.

Mar 14th, 2001, 03:41 AM
christine

My husband and I were planning an Easter trip to the Loire Valley, and still hope to be able to proceed with our plans. However, since Easter is only 1 month from now, I am making backup reservations in Tuscany AND Prague, just in case the disease spreads. Of course, we have the luxury of choosing any place that is a reasonable drive from our home in Switzerland.

If you are planning on traveling to Europe in the next month or so, I think it would just be smart to think of some alternatives just in case.

Mar 14th, 2001, 03:49 AM
Mary and Anne

Do you think we should cancel our trip to New York City? We heard about two rapes last week.

Mar 14th, 2001, 03:59 AM
Elaine

I live in Europe but have been away from the news for a few weeks. What's going on? Why would anyone cancel trip plans to Europe because of foot and mouth disease in animals? Is the US telling people not to come over? You can't walk in the country??

Mar 14th, 2001, 04:12 AM
christine

I think people who had planned on spending a lot of time doing outdoor activities (walking, cycling, mountaineering) in Europe in the next month or 2 SHOULD be thinking of alternative plans. Of cities will not be as affected.

If the disease continues to spread there will be widespread restrictions on human movement as there already is in Britain and Ireland. Parks, zoos, walking paths, National Trust Estates, have all been closed to visitors. My Mother-in-Law told me that even the small village commons area of the English town she lives in has been blocked off.

I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get to the Alps as is could seriously affect the hiking.

Mary and Anne, you are just ignorant.

Mar 14th, 2001, 04:18 AM
xxx

No point in being rude or insolent to Mary and Anne. Just explain the facts to them. There could be a rape on every corner in New York City every hour, and they wouldn't close any of the tourist attractions there.

Mar 14th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Shanna

England may be a bit different from France in that they have public footpaths across fields used by herds. Consequently, the chance of spread by tourists/walkers is quite great. Is that type of access to fields the same in France or other European countries? The US has always asked if people entering the US have been on farms. Until now, I didn't really think that walking on the public footpaths might be considered the same thing. But speaking of being rude, ignorant, and paranoid is anyone beside me wondering if these problems might be the result of a different kind of terrorist activity? Who benefits from the closing of European borders?

Mar 14th, 2001, 04:39 AM
frank

There is plenty of meat here in the UK -in fact something of a glut - as everyone has been sending their animals for slaughter while they are allowed to move them.
Same thing will happen in France.
The real tourist problem is for those who want to use the countryside.Both specific sites (eg Hadrians wall, Stonehenge) have been closed & certain areas of land are closed to walkers.In areas still open, movement is "discouraged"
My own feeling is that if it keeps spreading (containment isn't working this time, the experts here admit disappointment) they'll soon be at a point where it's better just killing everything & restocking.The problem is purely economic & will only be allowed to impact other industries (eg tourism) up to a limit.However this is an election year so common sense might not apply.
Incidentally the general election expected in early May will probably be postponed.
There have been very big waves of tourist cancellations, so for fares & hotel prices you should be looking for a bargain.

Mar 14th, 2001, 04:53 AM
frank

Note all meat exports from EC to US are now banned, travellers are having to use disinfected mats etc.
Please note also that black pudding & haggis have long been considered contraband goods, but the haggis police may step up their activities now.
NOT the time for concealing black puddings about your person.

Mar 14th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Elsie

The Champs Elysse isn't a CAMPS -- mon dieu -- where is a cow to roam? I guess I'll have to moooooooooove on.

Mar 14th, 2001, 05:28 AM
animallover

does anyone else want to weep when you see the horrifying pictures of thousands of animals being slaughtered, dumped and burned? I'd bet my next months pay that they aren't being slaughtered mercifully (if there's such a thing)...makes one want to consider vegetarianism...

Mar 14th, 2001, 05:35 AM
sylvia

To the person who is worried about humane killing, of course we can't be 100% sure, but these animals are being killed by trained vets rather than slaughtermen and they have not had the stressful journey to the slaughterhouse. It might actually be more humane.
As another poster said, the only tourists to be adversely effected will be people who want to take part in outdoor activities. If you're going to visit towns and cities there's no problem. An American friend had a frantic 'phone call yesterday asking if her visitors should cancel their trip because of "all this mad cow disease". Sigh

Mar 14th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Fumi

Fogetabout Fodor pins. Give us all a can with a little blue man and we'll spray n' hike. Why, it could be the tourists that save the day if we get organized with proper fumigation methods.

Mar 14th, 2001, 08:15 AM
carol

Sylvia...maybe you didn't see the newsclips where people were actually in the fields shooting the cows - all you could hear was the gunfire and then it showed them hoisting the carcass up and throwing into the fire. Do you really think every one of those cows were killed instantly by the bullets. Humane - I don't think so!

Mar 14th, 2001, 09:01 AM
PB

There are plenty of areas that are not agriculturally oriented here in France, and at the moment there are no plans to close hiking trails, etc. - at least here in the south of France.

The agriculture minister has announced that if there is another outbreak (so far there is only one near Mayenne) they will proceed with a mass vaccination program.... something the English didn't do and apparently didn't even consider.

PBProvence

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO