Car set mandatory ? - 6 year old - Germany / Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to drive down from Munich to Salzbug and back along with my wife and son (who is 6, weighing 17 kg).. I plan to rent a car from the airport. Is it mandatory to rent a car seat along with the car for my son on this trip? In UK, for e.g I believe the law permits a 6 yr old in rear seat without a booster seat.. please suggest.
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:29 PM

The child seat law is European wide, including the UK.
Child seats of some description have to be used up to 12 years old or over a certain height.
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:30 PM

I should have added I do not know what the fines are in Germany for no compliance.
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:28 AM

How can you use a car seat for an 11 year old child? Many are 5 feet tall at that point (I was 5'5") - it's ridiculous. I understand infant/toddler seats - and boosters for little kids - but not for people that are as tall as many adults.
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:34 AM

In Germany and Austria, car seats are mandatory for kids younger than 13 AND shorter than 150cms.
In Austria it's younger than 14 and shorter than 150cms.
So PP's concerns are taken into account by the law.
Not that it had any relevance for OP's 6 year old child.

You should find a car seat for that age and weight listed under extras or special equipment on the rental car company's website.

While the fine for non-compliance is rather modest in the double digit euros, it is more relevant that you void (at least partially) insurance claims for your child in case of an accident due to negligent or reckless action if the kid is not secured by a car seat appropriate for age , height, and weight.
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:47 PM

I'm as astounded by these rules as Nytravler. I'll admit when we lived in Germany in the mid-1990's, it was mandatory for children under the age of 10, I believe, to be in car seats. (Nope, I didn't comply for my 7 year old and I never got stopped.)

Do you know the reason behind this law? I assumed that booster seats/car seats for children were required because seat belts do not properly fit those under a certain height. What's the rule for adults that are under 150cm? (Unusual, but not unheard of). I am seriously interested to know.
Old May 18th, 2012, 02:24 PM

The reason is pretty simple.
A safety belt is dangerous for people under a certain height as in case of impact, the force of the belts will be applied where it can hurt the person/child.
I'm a bit surprised as I thought this would be common knowledge/sense.

Adults under 150cms should also use booster seats. But they are adults and can put themselves in almost any danger they like.

But adults should not put the health of their children at risk.
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Wow - that's incredibly strict - and does cover a lot of petite adults. In the US booster seats are usually required until a child is 7 or 8 years old. After that it's every man for himself.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:03 PM

It might be "incredibly strict", but when it is about the safety of your child, why in the world should this be a problem? The mind boggles.

I file this under the catagory of people who ask if it is ok to take a taxi without a car seat or booster. As though a taxi is magical and no injuries will happen, as opposed to riding in a regular car.

If people would take the time to read the laws, it states either or. If your child is X amount of years, or X amount of cm and weight, then they don't need a booster any more.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:21 PM

Longhorn the world has moved on since the 90’s

Nytraveller, of course the rules do not cover adults; that is why there is an age limits too.

Do not forget that is a European wide rule and does not cover just Germany.

Is it correct that in parts of US the you are not obliged to wear a seat belt?
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:36 PM

I assume that many people have no clue about the forces that a seat belt applies to the body in the case of accident.
When you hit a wall with 50kph/30mph, the seat belt has to deal with x times the weight of the secured person. If a child weighs 30 kilos, that would be 1.5 metric tonnes at the moment of impact with 50kph.

In reality, several factors will have a mitigating effect, like the crumple zones of the car, or that you may rear end a car that is still moving, or that the target is not 100pct solid like a concrete wall.

The belts will distribute the forces over their length, but it remains a massive force as they keep back not your 30 kilo child but one that weighs 500 kilos or more during the impact. You may visualize yourself what these forces will do to the torso and interior organs of a child when the seat belt isn't applied at the proper points of the body.