Reload this Page >

vacationing in Ireland

Search

vacationing in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 1999, 01:13 PM
Terry

vacationing in Ireland

My wife and I are taking our first vacation to Ireland in Sept'99.Would you suggest driving or taking the train to see the countryside on this first visit?what about going to Dublin and taking side trips from there to see the countryside? Is a full week enough time to see Ireland or should it be more like 10 days?

Old Jan 2nd, 1999, 02:32 PM
Ann

It's much easier to see Ireland by car, if you don't mind driving on the left that is. <BR>Otherwise you would easily miss great castles on the west coast of Ireland and the great landscape of Connemara. <BR>Hope to be able to see the south of Ireland this year as people say that is a more beautiful and dramatic landscape. <BR>Would suggest ten days rather than only one week, but depending on how far west, north or south you want to travel. We went by car for one week and saw about half or Ireland, but then also went by boat to Aran Islands. You will anyway have plenty of time to plan things! Good luck! <BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 1999, 02:34 PM
Ann

It's much easier to see Ireland by car, if you don't mind driving on the left that is. <BR>Otherwise you would easily miss great castles on the west coast of Ireland and the great landscape of Connemara. <BR>Hope to be able to see the south of Ireland this year as people say that is a more beautiful and dramatic landscape. <BR>Would suggest ten days rather than only one week, but depending on how far west, north or south you want to travel. We went by car for one week and saw about half or Ireland, but then also went by boat to Aran Islands. You will anyway have plenty of time to plan things! Good luck! <BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 1999, 07:03 AM
leechase

<BR>Hi Terry, <BR>Ireland doesn't really have very many rail lines, so you would be much better off renting a car. I would suggest staying in Dublin for only one or two days then heading south or west. My favourite area is the west to County Kerry, Dingle and Galway. But, you may want to go south to Waterford, Cork, Blarney and then head up the west coast. It really is beautiful. One week is really pushing it, you might want to think about at least 10 days or 2 weeks. If you want more in depth information as your planning progresses, please don't hesitate to E-mail me. <BR>Lee <BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 1999, 10:33 AM
terry

first visit to Ireland this coming September. Everybody says in order to see country rent a car.Do you have any tips on driving in Ireland? I know it's on the other side of the road and the steering wheel in on the other side. Are there any other suggestions? is there a rules of the road book I can get? How about insurance? Thank you

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 07:24 PM
Gene

My wife and I just spent a week in Ireland last October. We didn't have enough time to see everything we wanted to. I recommend a couple days in Dublin <BR>and then head west. You don't need a car in Dublin. Most streets curve, not at right angles, and massive roundabouts. You'll be lost most of the time. It's a lot bigger city then we expected. O'Connell Street is what you want. Take buses. <BR> <BR>We didn't see any railroad tracks our whole trip or train stations. You will need a car in Ireland to really enjoy the country's flavor. It's easy to <BR>drive. People drive slow, 55-60mph. Not like England or France where the speed limit is 80 mph. <BR> <BR>Do all your shopping in Blarney, <BR>outside of Cork. You'll save a fortune. <BR>A walking cap in Galway costs $40, in Blarney the same cap costs $16. <BR>You'll love the woolen mills in Blarney, <BR>and Waterford Chrystal is sold everywhere there. White linen tablecloths are a wonderful gift for someone. Great quality and a steal at $40. The stores will help you get the VAT refund and shipping is free. After Blarney you'll have to make your choice whether to do the Ring of Kerry thing or go north to Connemara. You can't do both in a week. <BR> <BR>Definiteley stay in Kilarney, nice hotels cost 18L pp. The Kilarney National Forest is a must on the way to the Ring of Kerry. <BR> <BR>The whole west coast is spectacular. We're coming back someday to see the rest of Ireland. It did rain everyday, but we still enjoyed ourselves. I think the Guiness helped.

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 05:12 AM
Eileen Saluga

My sisters and I did a trip to Ireland/Scotland/England last fall and had a wonderful 2 week holiday. We flew into Shannon Airport, picked up a rental car and spent almost a week driving along the south west coast (stayed in B&B's except 1 night in Dromoland Castle)then when we got to Dublin we got rid of the car. Spent a day in Dublin then flew to Edinburgh, Scotland for a 2 day visit (beautiful city, also stayed in B&B but it was a luxury B&B like we have in the states)then took the train down to London for a few days and flew home from London. The train only took 4 hours and it was great fun. <BR> <BR>Driving is OK in Ireland, takes a little while to get used to, but not difficult and the roads aren't the superhighways that we have here in the U.S.

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 07:30 PM
peggy

Drive, Terry, drive! Be cautious of the sheep and cows, but then that is half the fun. I've had the opportunity to visit once in 1997 and once in 1998. Both times we drove and used B&Bs. We used a Fly & Drive tour through CIE. It handled the car rental and supplied us with B&B vouchers. We did pay the extra for the en suite rooms, but it was worth it. Last time, we flew into Dublin and stayed for a couple of day then went back to the airport to pick up the car. From there head southwest...the Waterford plant is amazing and will gladly ship your purchases home (they made it back in great shape). Then head along the coast to the Ring of Kerry or Dingle. Then up thru the Burren and the Cliffs of Mohr. After that hit the Aran Islands (daytrip via ferry) and The Connemara. If you have time, see Kylemore Abbey and Ashford Castle(expensive hotel) but you can wander the grounds. I suggest staying a couple of days in some of the B&Bs so you can day trip. Fly home from Shannon. Remember to get your VAT Tax forms and turn them in at the airport. Waterford, Belleck, linens, and sweaters...what more can a girl ask for! Enjoy your trip...and watch out for the sheep & cows.

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 06:24 PM
Pete Kelly

Terry, go for the 10 days. You will wish you had 30. A car is the way to see the little out of the way places. But taking a bus out of the major cities works too. Trains are fun, but some what limited. You do not need a car in Dublin, in fact it is a pain to park. Driving on the left is a pain at first but you will adjust or bust! My main problem was getting around the round-a-bouts. People are very friendly even in the big cities. <BR>Take a camera and voice recorder and you will have memories of a life time. <BR>I am popping over in May and making Dublin my HQ. <BR>Pete