France-- more violent than America !?

Aug 12th, 2001, 02:49 PM
sawitonNBC

France-- more violent than America !?

From Paris--Crime up 10% and now higher than here-- surprised --thought the posts about Spain were bad. Said it was now the #1 concern of the country

Aug 13th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Bob

I know of nowhere in Central Europe that is more violent than the US. I can't open my paper without seeing that someone has been killed or injured.

Aug 13th, 2001, 08:53 AM
clark

How profound! You judge a country's violence level by what you read in the newspaper?

I mean, everyone knows that no newspaper or TV network would ever, ever purposely highlight or sensationalize violence to get more readers or viewers.

You probably would've liked Pravda.

Aug 13th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Jim Rosenberg

There is a huge difference between "crime" and "violence". Property crimes are quite common in Europe. VIOLENCE, on the other hand, is an entirely different matter. While traveling in Europe, I'm rarely concerned for my safety, but it behooves one to be extremely careful about safeguarding valuables.

Aug 13th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Book Chick

The TV news story I saw indicated that part of the deal was that violent crime in the U.S. had been in the process of steeply declining at the same time violent crime in France was rising. (Also, the violent crimes they were referring to EXCLUDED rape & murder. "What does that leave?" you may ask. That leaves armed robberies of all kinds, carjackings & the French also regard muggings as violent crimes. I'm just not sure where these French folks are getting their weapons.)
BC

Aug 13th, 2001, 09:45 AM
blindfolded

IF THERE IS NO CRIME IN EUROPE, HOW COME A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO IN THE OUTSKIRTS OF "PARIS" A FRENCH GUNMAN ENTERED A BANK, ROBBED IT AND IN THE PROCESS KILLED THREE PEOPLE, READ THE NEWS, DO NOT PUT A BLINDFOLD ABOUT CRIME IN EUROPE. AND PEOPLE SAID THERE ARE NO GUNS IN EUROPE!

Aug 13th, 2001, 11:06 AM
angel

It is VERY easy for the underworld to get guns in Europe. Also it is easy to move guns, bombs,etc. across borders. There are a lot of immigrants/illegals from third world countries (where guns are commonplace) now living throughout western europe. The mafias never had a problem getting arms, nor the terrorists.
Crime is certainly up in europe and I live here!

Aug 13th, 2001, 11:51 AM
xx

The fact that three people being killed in a bank raid near paris made world wide news bulletins should tell you how rare it is. Reports of killings from the states reaches us in Europe only when it involves large numbers of people or especially children. Quite frequently recently it seems.

Aug 13th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Jose

You are right 'xx ([email protected])'.

Everybody is putting their hands in their heads because a triple murder has been commited in France.

And no one says anything about those teenagers taking their guns and killing several people.

The better you can do is look into your own house, and later to the others. Someone said that get arms in Europe is easy, well, may be, but certainly, it is illegal, but in USA it isnīt, in fact some famous people, as actors I don't wanna say, supports the right to take your gun.

Or, have you ever walked alone through the Bronx?...
How many violent deads in NY, or LA, or... per year?

Aug 13th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Marlene

My husband and I lived in Paris, France for 10 years. Unfortunately, my husband was attacked by a couple of thieves last year while walking towards our apartment building. And I was assaulted twice in 1999. As you can see, crime is rampant everywhere. We were also mugged while strolling by the Champs Elysees in broad daylight. Thankfully we were not carrying anything of great value, and were not physically hurt that time. Paris has changed for the worse within the past 5 years. And the police are not at all concerned. The french police are very nonchalant about crime.

Aug 15th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Joseph

After having lived two years in France teaching, I can concur that violence is high in France. They have high violence in schools though most often not with a gun. There is a lot of violence against teachers. However the problem there is somewhat reverse than in the States, most violent crimes happen in the suburbs than in the city centers and it is particularly high amongst the minorities in France. Unfortunately this causing racism to really rise not only in France but in the whole of Europe. However, in contrast to all of this. I feel much safer at night in city centers of France than I would in downtown Atlanta! It should not be a concern to anyone travelling to Europe. Why travel in paranoia - you can do that here too!