Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   France Itinerary Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/france-itinerary-advice-589440/)

katiaetlemonde Feb 8th, 2006 03:19 PM

France Itinerary Advice

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to France in June. We will have seven full days and another half day before we depart.

We want to spend 3 days in Paris and the other days driving around the countryside.

Do you think it would be feasible to hit all or some of these locations, without going crazy or driving all night? And also, in what order should we visit these? I'm willing to leave out some of the destinations for a more harmonious, less hectic and more geographically convenient experience.

1. Mont St. Michel
2. Chartres
3. Chateau at Chambord
4. D-Day Beaches
5. A few hours on the beach relaxing, anywhere on the way
6. Chateau de Villandry

*also I would love suggestions for places to stay along the way--some good cities/towns to sleep in.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Katia

kleroux Feb 8th, 2006 03:31 PM

We were in Paris/Loire area last Sept. It was much easier driving than I expected. Lots of round abouts instead of dangerous intersections, good signs everywhere. However getting from Mt. St Michel to the Chateau country in the limited time you have isn't a great idea in my opinion. Do Brittany/Normandy or do the Loire and Chartres... You'll find a lot of people speak English in Paris, esp. the young people. We found a great hotel/chateau in Chantilly right by Charles De Gaule airport...it was once a home of the Rothchilds, I think. Much better than any airport hotel and cheaper, and the chateau of Chantilly was wonderful!

amwosu Feb 8th, 2006 04:17 PM

I agree with the previous poster that you should do Paris plus one other geographical area. The beach at Normandy isn't really a "laying out" beach like those on the Med. I wouldn't waste my time in France laying out on the beach unless I was in Cannes or St. Tropez area.

Honestly, I'd stay in Paris for the whole time with such a short vacation but if you want to divide up the trip you might see Paris for a few days then take the high speed TGV to Avignon (2.5 hours) and rent your car at the TGV station and enjoy Provence and even go far enough south to dip your tow in the Med.

If you don't already have your airline tickets you might check into an open jaw ticket to arrive in Paris but fly home out of Nice. It isn't usually too much more expensive when you figure the cost and time it takes to return to Paris to depart.

amwosu Feb 8th, 2006 04:19 PM

You could also easily spend the country part driving north from Paris to Normandy- Deuville, Trouville, Honfleur, Bayeaux and then go west to St. Michel.

Michael Feb 8th, 2006 06:01 PM

If your numbering system represents an actual itinerary, it makes no sense to go to Chambord, then the D-Day beaches and back to the Loire for Villandry.

katiaetlemonde Feb 8th, 2006 06:38 PM

Thanks everyone. Yes, Michael, you're right, the list doesn't reflect the progression of the trip. It's more of a greedy brainstorm of some places I'd like to see.

My boyfriend is really interested in seeing the historic WWII sites in Normandy, and I am excited about seeing a few chateaux, beautiful cathedrals and walking around lovely small towns.

EmilySD Feb 8th, 2006 06:55 PM

My husband and I are taking a very similar trip the end of May. He wants to go to the D-Day sites and I want to see the Loire Valley. So, rather than travelling to Normandy and spending the night, we are taking a daylong (12hour) bus trip out of Paris. We won't see Mont St Michel, though. Then we are staying 2 nights in Amboise in the Loire Valley with a car. This will give us 4 full days in Paris also. And a daytrip to Giverny.

Just an idea. Happy planning! Have a great weekend.

RonZ Feb 8th, 2006 06:58 PM

The hotel kleroux referred to is the Chateau Montvillargenne. Looks to be an amazing place.

GregY2 Feb 8th, 2006 06:58 PM

You could do it, especially if you discounted the beach, but it might feel a bit hectic. You could drive to the D-Day beaches and then on to Mont St Michel for the night, visiting the Abbey the next morning before driving down to the Loire. Viamichelin suggests about 4 hours driving time for the first day, and about 3 for the second. You would then have 3 days in the Loire to see the chateaux and call in at Chartres on the way back. personally, I would put Chenonceau ahead of Chambord. Amboise is a pleasant place to stay while in the Loire.

travelbunny Feb 8th, 2006 07:02 PM

Katie..Ib know you are enthusiastic and would like to see as much as possible but do less and see more. Spend most of your time in Paris. If you have your heart set on doing something else, you might want to go to the Normandy beaches and spend a night in Normandy...check your guide book and pick out an area of interest..there is so much to do. Do not try to drive from Paris on a Friday pm and dont try to return Sun pm...a 2 day jaunt..that wouldn't really leave much time for the Loire...Why not take a day trip to Chantilly or Vaux le Vicount instead..much closer to Paris...