France Italy Railpass

Jun 5th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

France Italy Railpass

Researching these railpasses is leaving my head spinning.Is there a simple answer to a simple question? Our family of 4 is going to spend about 14 days in Italy and intends to travel Rome- Naples, Rome- Florence- Venice and then onto Paris.

If our only train travel in France is the Venice-Paris route does it make economic sense to purchase the France-Italy Eurail Pass ?

Still undecided which is the best option, overnight train to Paris or fly. Budget flying seems cheaper at first but then we virtually lose a day in travelling ( due to inconvenient schedules and airport locations) and have the added expense of an extra hotel night.

Can anyone simplify this for me!!
Jun 5th, 2005, 08:17 AM
ira

Hi L,

Enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com and click "only if it saves money".

A family of 4 *might* find a railpass cheaper.

>...overnight train to Paris or fly?<

The only direct budget flight is Venice Treviso/Paris Beauvais - neither airport is convenient to its city.

You can book first class couchettes online at www.sncf for 280E for Venice SL/Paris Bercy.

Jun 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Get two France Italy Saverpasses. A saverpass allows two or more persons traveling together to ride the rails at a discount from the basic one person rail pass. You will have to pay extra for seat reservations on some trains (i.e. Eurostar Italia), and other supplements, like compartments or couchettes; however, the discount for a compartment on the overnight from Venice to Paris is substantial (I think about 1/2 the cost of purchasing the compartments without the pass). So, yes, if you plan to do the overnight from Venice to Paris by train, it will make economic sense to purchase the France-Italy pass.

I do recommend instead of getting one saverpass for 4, getting two saverpasses for 2 each. That way, if you need to separate for any reason, you don't all have to get on the train at the same time.
Jun 5th, 2005, 12:44 PM
rex

Take a good look into re-aranging your travel so that you can fly Rome-Paris - - there is low cost service between Rome Ciampino and Paris Orly - - much more convenient.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jun 7th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. Considering the flight out of Venice ( (Marco Polo) to Paris ( Orly) with MyAir. Rates are very cheap....but has anyone flown with them?
Jun 7th, 2005, 05:28 AM
rex

Hmm... looks like it might be a good find... please be the first Fodorite to try 'em and report back here!
Jun 7th, 2005, 08:23 AM
ira

Hi lavender,

Congratulations.

You have found an airline that is not listed on www.whichbudget.com or the other usual sites.

Let us know how it goes.

Jun 7th, 2005, 09:12 AM

With the pass you can get a T-4 four-person couchette on the Venice-Paris Artesa night train for $44 each (thru Raileurope in US) - this would cost $150 or $175 depending on peak or non-peak without a pass thru RE - thus the train fare covered by the pass would be either $106 or $131 - peak is largely for travel on Fri, Sat or Sun nights. without a pass the youth fare for those under 26 would be $150 or $125 peak or non-peak and child under 12 either $88 or $112 without a pass.
Check trenitalia.com for fares in Italy and Artesia fares and then compare to the France-Italy pass prices - the pass is not available for purchase in Europe i believe nor is their an equivalent i believe. the pass may be worth more if you have other rail days as extra days are $30 /day. But at $269 each on a saver pass in 1st class (needed to use T-4s i believe) for the 4-day pass it may be good for you. check fares - remember pass allows you on any train any time - no advance purchase requirements, non-changeable train tickets, etc. You would still have to make Eurostar Italia reservations with a pass (about $15-18 in Italy) you would need only take them on the florence-venice routes even though then there are some direct IC trains that don't require reservations or surcharges with a pass. For any questions on the France-Italy or booking Artesia night trains in US thru RailEurope i always recommend BETS (800-441-2387), a RailEurope agent whose i go thru for passes for years now - whoever you talk to there will know all the answers from personal experience. RailEurope charges a one-time $15 booking fee with all the reservations (not $15 per reservation). Artesia night trains can be hard to book the closer you get to the train, especially since the number has been sliced in half due to consolidation of trains, probably because of competition from discount airlines - kids i think will love taking an overnight train and you need not hassle with getting to remote airports, etc.