Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

FRANCE-ITALY-ENGLAND!!!!! IT'S HARD TO GET AN ANSWER TO A TRAVEL QUESTION ANYWHERE ELSE!

FRANCE-ITALY-ENGLAND!!!!! IT'S HARD TO GET AN ANSWER TO A TRAVEL QUESTION ANYWHERE ELSE!

Jan 12th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

France, Italy an England. I have always loved Fodors and use it to plan my trips. Not anymore. Last year there were tons of posters on Croatia. This year, most of my questions go unanswered. No, I don't take it personally, but I wish I knew where everyone who used to post here went. A few people come thru, (if they see my posts), but for the most part I'm using the search box, and really have no way of knowing if the info is still current. Just had to vent. I have always considered this web site one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Lately, its just been a pain trying to get information. Anyone else feel like I do?
Jan 12th, 2007, 06:26 PM

OK - not really sure what you are complaining about. A couple of hours ago, you posted one thread asking for info about Croatia. It doesn't have any answers yet (I also notice you didn't click Croatia before you posted it)

(and the all caps may have put some folks off that thread)
Jan 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM

lol ... and your travel Q is ... ?
Jan 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

The post a couple of hours ago is just one of many about Croatia. I have tons of questions about this upcoming trip, ciaoleone. I just have problems getting answers! Look at the titles, they are mostly concerning France, Italy or England. Love going there, but I thought Croatia would be nice for a change. Are you saying I need to post under the Croatia thread? Is there one? Janisj, I have always, 100% of the time, no matter where we're going, posted under general. Sorry you don't like the capitals. I'm not a newbie to this site, I had a gripe and thats how I expressed it- IN CAPITALS. But thanks for answering, you really helped.
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Fewer Fodorites have been to Croatia, so fewer and slower answers, of course.

So, after you finish your trip, please help out future travelers by posting as much info as possible.
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:59 PM

zwho, what do you want to know about Croatia? I can only help with the Dalmatia Coast. We were in Trogir and Dubrovnik for a combined total of 9 days last summer. We loved it so much that we are returning this summer.

Our favorite daytrip from Dubrovnik was the Peljesak peninsula. We visited 3 wineries in the area. The wine was great and the scenery was beautiful!

Jan 12th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Laurie, Thanks for answering. I just saw your Croatia Itinerary advice. Great information. It's like an oasis in the desert! We were in Dubrovnik 2 years ago and fell in love with the place. We can only stay 5 days this trip, so this will be Istria and Slovenia. Next year, we hope to do the coast and day trips into Montenegro. Anyway, in the time we have we want to see a few towns in Istria, like Rovinj and a hill town or 2 and in Slovenia, we would like to see Lake Bled and Ljubljiana. We're starting from Trieste and have to be in Venice 6 days later. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out a route so we don't backtrack more then necessary. Your trip sounds wonderful and hopefully we'll do something like it next year. Thanks for your offer of help.
Jan 12th, 2007, 10:46 PM

You asked one in early Dec, and one on Christmas day (probably the slowest day of the year on Fodors.) and a couple back in Oct. You did get answers on all of those . . . . .

If you have ones farther back than that you should top them to get another chance at it
Jan 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM

It's quite common for people to only respond to posts on one particular country (not in the Big 3). Those people click on "their" country so they don't have to sift through the hundreds of threads on Paris, Venice, Florence, etc.

I noticed this when I was looking for info on Turkey -- whenever I forgot to highlight the country box, I'd get much fewer responses. The Turkey "experts" who don't care about Paris aren't going to read through all these posts to find my buried thread --I had to highlight the country.

Good luck, Croatia sounds incredible!
Jan 12th, 2007, 11:58 PM

Will look for your questions and reply to them this week-end.
In the meantime if you look at our website www.leightravelclub.com
and click onto Julias page you may find some help. If you dont then you can email Julia from her link and I am sure you will get all the help and info you need.
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Hello zwho,

I'm new to this site but have been replying to some of the questions I've read regarding Croatia, the Adriatic, and specifically Istria. I have been in the region since the conflicts within the former Yugoslavia, and now have a permanent residence in Istria. I am not in the tourism industry, but I've traveled all my life and I know this area well.
Your interest in Istria - which sits on Italian, Slovenia and Croatian territory, is well founded, as are your future plans to visit the Damatian Coast and Montenegro. As much as I want to see things further abroad, I find myself spending my vacation time still exploring things much closer to "home". I manage to get to my "home" in Istria nearly every weekend, and I feel like I fall in love with the region more deeply each time.
So can I help you? I hope so...
Will you have a car? If so, when do you want to rent it? I ask because if you plan to come during the busy summer season, then driving from Venice and into Istria, across the EU border especially, will not be much fun. There is little to see between Venice and Trieste from the highway, and the border may have a long queue [but April/May will be ok].
Maybe consider crossing from Venice to Istria by ferry [taking a couple of hours and with a nice view of the coastline], rent a car for Istria/Ljubljana/Bled, then return by ferry. You could even take the train to Trieste, then take a car in Trieste, returning to Venice again by train.
Decide on this, and also on whether you want to spend time in Venice, and then I can give you some suggestions on the rest of your itinerary.
For what its worth, I searched only for Istria posts, but the responses I've seen from others are quite accurate and informative. Good luck and I hope we all will be of help.
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Here's a hint.

You get more flies with honey then vinegar. If you post "whiny" complaining threads folks feel no real motiviation to assist you.

This thread did very little to help your cause.
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Hey CarolA, I sure wish you were my mom! You give such good advice, Thanks! Actually, I have received great advice here, Large CAPS, whiny and all. I have started clicking on the country before I post. It does make sense. And CarolA, check out Laurie, Leightravel and uaz04. I guess they could spot a frustrated Fodorite trying to gather info and not cause a scene! Thanks to all of you
Michael, Thank you for your offer of help. We are flying into Trieste and have 5 days to spend before we have to be back in Venice. So I guess my 1st question is, where should I rent a car? In Italy, or wait until we are in Croatia & Slovenia? Next big concern. Where should we end our 5 days so we can get some sort of public transport to get back to Venice easily? That naturally brings me to the next concern, from Trieste, should we go into Croatia or start in Slovenia? We want to see Rovinj, a hill town or 2, Ljubljiana, Lake Bled and Postonja Cave. I think thats not too ambitious, but maybe it is. Any advice you can offer will be very much appreciated. We saw Dubrovnik on a cruise 2 years ago and I just fell in love with the place and the coast line as we pulled out of port. I can't imagine that I'll ever have a home there, (but who knows), but I can understand why you do!
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Did you look at thi report:

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....s=66&start=100
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:10 PM

zwho, you may top your post later in the day when no one bites. There are posters who post only in the morning, some only at work (no home computer, perhaps)
Jan 15th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I guess I knew that. At the moment when I posted this, I was tired and frustrated. As you can see, I did start receiving great info.
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:37 AM

zwho,

I'm torn...I like to be self-sufficient and mobile, so I would probably rent a car in Trieste, return it there, and take the public transport [probably train] back to Venice. But...I really like the ferry from Istria to Venice as well. Most likely, I would let the weather forecast decide.
As for the itinerary, if you are flying in to Trieste, it is actually Montfalcone to the west, so I would start overnight in Bled, then spend a day in Ljubljana walking the center and a visit up to the castle. Enjoy a couple of cafes and lunch along the river - I just love the atmoshpere and ambiance in Ljubljana. It is relaxed and peaceful, and between Bled and Ljubljana you will forget that you had a long flight. It is hard to find a bad meal [but they do eat horsemeat there].
Then you will have a relatively short drive to Istria. The itinerary at this point will depend upon what month and what day of the week. It might be more interesting to enter Istria via Buzet [if still light out go up to the old town], and then up to a small village named Zrenj/Stridone [Croatian/Italian names]. Most tourists will never find the konoba and guest houses of Paolo and Nadija, but the accomodation and food are superb and authentic Istrian. It is called Pietrapelosa, after the ruins of a convent down below in the valley.
Nearby, places worth seeing are Hum, Roc, Sovinjak...
Moving down the center, Beram [frescos] and Pazin, Svetivincenat, the ruins of Dvigrad, and on down to Pula and its roman ruins and colliseum.
Up the coastal side, you have Tito's island retreat of Briuni, Rovinj, Porec, and the other smaller but also lovely coastal towns. Just a few kilomters back from the coast there is the small region they call Istrian Toscana [Buzet may also be at the far end of this area, but it reminds me more of Umbria], with Groznjan, Oportalj, Motovun, Buje's old town, Momjan [best wines around, and the INCREDIBLE food at Rino's - gnocci con tartufi].
I've mentioned many places, but they are all in close proximity and I often see most of them in the course of one day on a bicycle ride! You can easily research them all on www.istrianet.org and choose which to visit, depending upon what you like to do or see. Istria, just as Ljubljana and Bled, is for relaxing and soaking in its history, nature and panoramic views...and eating well.
I spend weekends there, and usually do a bike ride amongst the hilltop villages, but ending at the coast with a swim and nap in the sunshine. Dinner either seafood [maybe Konoba in Umag], or more "Tuscan" cuisine a few kilometers inland - truffles, pasta, gnocci, wild boar, venison, etc.
Where to sleep? You can stay in one place and visit the rest - depends upon your own preference...if you like to be in a city and shops, or an agrotourisme, pensione, or even a small old stone hilltop istrian "villa" with a pool overlooking the sea. Your choice - they are all available. I'd prefer the latter, or the agrotourisme/pensione where I could get to know the family, neighbors, and also experience the local friendliness and mentality.
As you can probably tell, I've recommended a clockwise tour, which will end up near the Slovenian coast [Piran, Portoroz, Izola, Koper] and Trieste - these are also worth seeing, so choose one or two to pass through.
I've written a lot, I know, which will give you much to consider and probably foster a few more questions. If you want more detail, I'll try to oblige.

Jan 16th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

uazo4, Thank you, Thank you , Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted. I have never heard of many of these villages, they're not in Fodors (the book). That is what is so wonderful about this forum, information from people like you. I would never have thought to start at Lake Bled, but that does make sense. I'm going to study what you've sent me. It's alot of info to take in, because the names are unfamiliar and I need to figure out in my head or else map it out on paper, so I know what we can do. The way you descibe it, makes me want to follow your exact route. I'm going to look at what you've sent me and will get back to you, if thats okay. Please continue to check this forum and look out for an SOS to you! Thanks again.
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

me again, uaz04, I just noticed your last line. You said if I want more detail, you'll be happy to oblige. Well, your descriptions are putting great pictures in my head of how beautiful this trip is going to be. You do a great job of describing so when ever you want to continue with this Travelogue, please do. No offense to Fodor's, but your info is about 100% better then what I got out of the Croatia & Slovenia book.
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:26 AM

First of all, I can't comment on Croatia. I've never been there but would like to go sometime in the near future. Therefore, I hope that you're going now will pave the way for me. As so many others have said, the lack of information/responses is for a variety of reasons. No need to reinterate them. However, I will share with you that "the way a question is worded" is really important to me as I scroll down and "decide" what to open and read. Sometimes the poster just doesn't give me enough specific information for me to feel like I should bother reading, muchless answering.

I haven't read your other posts, so don't interpret my comments as judging you specifically. Maybe my "gripe" will be read by those who IMO could skip the "vague" andor "cutsie" type questions and become a more serious poster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO