I'm hoping to get some advice for a first time Europe trip. I'm a 30 year old New Zealander, currently living in the UK (since October) and am planning a trip for when my mum comes over on June 16 - Aug 1 (flying in and out of London). I haven't been out of the UK yet and mum hasn't been to Europe at all before. We are flexible with where we go but have been thinking France, Italy and the Greek Islands would be nice (we both love beaches) as we want a good balance between seeing as much as we can, and having time to enjoy each place without rushing around too much. We’re interested in a variety of things, from historical sites and museums, to beaches, the outdoors/nature, walks and a bit of nightlife/restaurants.
My rough idea so far is to spend perhaps 1-2 weeks in the UK using my place in Bletchley (near Milton Keynes) as a base. Go on a few day/short trips to see, for example, Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, London. From there...;
Greek Islands - Santorini, Mikonos, Paros??
Perhaps Prague then Amsterdam on the way back to London if time allows?
I'd love any advice or recommendations on places to visit or the route above, also time to spend in each place and likely transport modes. Have I picked the highlights and is something like this doable within 6 weeks? If anyone feels like planning an itinerary that would be amazing because I am feeling really overwhelmed and I presume with this being the peak season I will need to get cracking with booking lodgings etc asap.
Many thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 2 The World's Greatest Churches
- 3 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 4 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 5 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)
- 6 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 7 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 8 My France Vacation
- 9 Paris November 2017
- 10 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland
- 11 GTG Paris December 2017
- 12 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 13 London vacation rental agency
- 14 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 15 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 16 Italy with kids - off the beaten bath
- 17 Trans Siberian Train
- 18 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 19 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 20 Iceland driving in March
- 21 Advance tickets for Sagrada and Park Guell
- 22 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 23 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 24 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 25 ICELAND in February