Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   France in October (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/france-in-october-1025372/)

lynnieoc Sep 12th, 2014 02:59 PM

France in October

lived in Paris for 6 months many years ago. planning to go back to explore another region of france in october... (did brittany, normandy, loire valley)... have 7 days... thoughts on Corsica? Burgundy? Bordeaux? (love wine, sun, fun, nature, exploring).

really appriate any advice.

merci,
LO

nytraveler Sep 12th, 2014 04:14 PM

When in Oct? You might get sun or might get a lot of rain. Should be pleasant - but there is no guarantee.

For sun/warm you want southern Spain.

For interesting France I would do Alsace perhaps combined with burgundy.

JeanneB Sep 12th, 2014 05:36 PM

Top of my list right now is the Dijon region. I just finished a light book about the area and did a lot of Googling every time he would go to a new town. I was stunned. It looks like the Val d'Orcia in Tuscany in the photos. Gorgeous! (Especially if you like wine-tasting!)

cocofromdijon Sep 13th, 2014 08:42 AM

"Top of my list right now is the Dijon region. I just finished a light book about the area" Thanks Jeanne for your support :) I'm curious to know what that book is...

Christina Sep 13th, 2014 09:25 AM

I think it's up to you as to what area you want to see, any should be fine in October (Bordeaux or Burgundy or Loire). Although Brittany is going more towards rain and cooler temps in the Fall. I wouldn't go there in October based on what you say you want, especially if you mean late October. Not sure why you even picked it (sun and wine in Brittany?).

A friend of mine just went to Corsica and wasn't crazy about it, said the people were not that nice or friendly. It isn't typical France at all, you know, they have their own language and there are some separatist feelings there. Now you could say the same about Barcelona, of course, and have a great time there.

If you want an island and beaches, it would be a good place to go. I don't know what their wine is like, I'm sure it has its followers.

hetismij2 Sep 13th, 2014 10:34 AM

OP said she has been to Brittany, Normandy and the Loire, and is looking for somewhere else to go.

jtpj777 Sep 13th, 2014 02:07 PM

October in France, I would choose either Western Provence or Cote D'Azur or both.

JeanneB Sep 14th, 2014 11:29 AM

coco:

"Dreaming in Dijon". Another we-bought-a-house-in-France book. But this one was better and more informative than others I've read. Perhaps because I knew so little about the region beforehand. Anyway, it was a pleasant little book.

cocofromdijon Sep 15th, 2014 08:48 AM

Thanks Jeanne, I'm glad to see there is a chapter about the Owl's Trail in Dijon.

grandmere Sep 15th, 2014 12:22 PM

Western Provence/Eastern Languedoc!

lynnieoc Sep 30th, 2014 12:20 PM

Thank you for all your thoughts and advise. Might pick up the Dreaming in Dijon book before i go!

Any thing special to do in Dijon? Western Provence? Eastern Langedoc that are things that i MUST do/see aka Do NOT miss!

thanks everyone!

Getting excited now!

Underhill Sep 30th, 2014 03:49 PM

Consider the vast region of Provence, very pleasant in October and much less crowded than in the summer. For special things to do, see the Pont du Gard, the roman cities of Arles and Nîmes, the remains of the amazing citadel at Les Baux...and much, much more. If you're interested in history, this is the area for you.

Jean Sep 30th, 2014 05:28 PM

We were in Burgundy last October for a little over a week, most of the time based in Beaune. We had lovely fall weather for all but one day when it rained fairly steadily for several hours. The fall colors weren't dramatic (perhaps we were a bit late) but pretty nevertheless. Great wine. Temps were never 'warm' but likewise never so cold that we didn't want to be walking around outside.

traveller1959 Oct 1st, 2014 07:38 AM

>>>love wine, sun, fun, nature, exploring<<<

Côte d'Azur and Provence are beautiful in October. Especially on the Côte d'Azur, swimming is warm and comfortably until mid-November - when the rest of France is cold and wet.

My special tip is hiking in the Esterel Mountains - expect breathtaking scenery and gorgeous vistas where red rock, green vegetation and blue sea meet.

cocofromdijon Oct 4th, 2014 09:13 AM

"Any thing special to do in Dijon?"

http://vimeo.com/99931399 :)

MaineGG Oct 4th, 2014 10:43 AM

Thanks for posting this beautiful video of Dijon. It brought back great memories of a September day there a couple of years ago walking the Owl's Trail. I hope to be back someday.

vanne Oct 4th, 2014 12:25 PM

cocofromdijon, thanks for posting this video -- it gives a wonderful overview of the city. Hope to visit soon.

Sue4 Oct 11th, 2014 11:45 AM

I have been to Burgundy in October, the last two weeks. Was perfect the first week, then turned cold, but still lovely and clear, no rain at all. I loved Burgundy, and the food was divine. Also spent 10 days in Alsace in October, with gorgeous weather the whole time. Many German tourists go there then, and the food was great. A little crowded in the popular wine route towns, and on the road. Both are wonderful regions to visit in October. But Burgundy is about my favorite region in France!