Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France in January--what to see/where to stay?

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Paula

My husband and I just planned a last minute vacation to France for the middle of January. We have not been there before and are looking for advice. Our best trips have been ones when we live as a native vs. a tourist (also means we tend to spend less money). We really enjoy immersing ourselves in the local culture. We intend to stay 3 days in Paris and the rest where we can drink great wine and relax. Any suggestions of where to go and where to stay?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:19 PM
David Lascoux

Hello,
Why not visiting Dordogne/Perigord ?
This is a wonderful area in the south-west of France, famous for its medieval castles and villages, its prehistoric sites and its legendary gastronomy (this is the country of Foie Gras)
As it is not far away from Bordeaux (150km) you can also visit Bordeaux and Bergerac's vineyard.
You can visit our region on our website www.villaconsuls.com (click on "tourism"). You will also find on this website our luxury vacation rentals located in the medieval streets of Sarlat, capital of Black Perigord.

Best regards
David Lascoux

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 12:56 AM
PB

I take it that David Lascoux is advertising anywhere he sees the word 'France' ?
I would not recommend the Dordogne region in mid-January - primarily because most hotels are closed until Easter and the weather is not great in winter.

If you're seeking warm weather (well, warm is a relative thing - it depends where you live), I would head to the Riviera or the area of Langudoc-Rousillon nearest Spain (perhaps Collioure).

If cold weather doesn't bother you - the Alpes Maritime (just north of the Riviera) or the area around Avignon in Provence, where we often have very pleasant days but the nights are cold.

PB

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Fred

It's tough in January because of the weather. You'd probably be best heading for the Cannes/Nice area and visit all the hill towns around there - St Paul de Vence, Vence, Eze, etc. You can also drive west a couple of hours to the Arles, St Remy area and visit Goudes, Rousillon, and all the town there. Then again, why only 3 days in Paris? Relax and drink wine? There are so many cafes, wine bars in Paris where you can do that. In 3 days you won't even begin to see Paris. Why not stay there - you can do a few day trips if you like. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Beaucoup

yep, you take it right, both David and Fred