Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   France - getting Euros. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/france-getting-euros-898729/)

bevfremont Jul 13th, 2011 04:41 PM

France - getting Euros.

Several of the places we are staying ask for payment in Euros, Cash. Any idea of where/how to get a large sum of Euros. In travellng in other countries, we found it very difficult to get more than $200 exchanged through ATMs each time. Any suggestions would be very helpful!

nytraveler Jul 13th, 2011 04:50 PM

First, ask your bank to raise you limit.

Second, you can draw from several ATMs in one day (unless your bank is blocking you)>

adrienne Jul 13th, 2011 05:00 PM

You can have multiple withdrawals from the same ATM. It's your bank that sets the daily limit.

spaarne Jul 13th, 2011 09:50 PM

What is your definition of <i>a large sum of Euros</i>?

Peter_S_Aus Jul 13th, 2011 11:07 PM

In Italy at Christmas, we were able to withdraw 500 euro at a single transaction. I imagine that France would be similar.

Seamus Jul 14th, 2011 12:31 AM

Bonjour from Paris - as mentioned above, the limit on the total amount you can withdraw from ATMs in one day is set by your own bank. Contact your bank prior to departure (at lease several days prior) and ask that the limit be raised if necessary.

I have been told that some ATMs also limit the amount you can withdraw in each session, but have not encountered that.

qwovadis Jul 14th, 2011 12:56 AM

I use ATMs set 500 euro w/d per day

but I would never deal with the tax cheats scammers

that are demanding large sums of cash like that

You can get scammed in a flash and they can do whatever

when you give them money and you will have no recourse

CC only for me capitalone.com Visa no foreign fees.

insuremytrip.com always wise...

avalon Jul 14th, 2011 02:37 AM

I'm with qwovadis . I prefer to deal with a company that takes CC, I sure would not pay cash until I saw the inside of the apts!

winnick Jul 14th, 2011 07:07 AM

We just returned from France. On arrival at Toulouse airport in mid-June we found a BP (I forget the full bank name) ATM close to the car rental bank, and withdrew 1,000 Euros. And, unlike our experience in Prague two years ago, it wasn't just one 1,000 Euro note, but a collection of 50 and 20 Euro notes. By the way, my bank charged me $5 for that transaction.

Italyagain Jul 15th, 2011 05:27 AM

We just got back also. Our limit per day is about 650euros. I do not have capital one, so each withdrawl cost over $20.00 in fees. Was contemplating setting up a Capital One acocunt ahead of time, but my bank, Chase, sends daily alert emails that I find very useful so for me, it was worth paying a couple fees.

Michel_Paris Jul 15th, 2011 05:48 AM

I don't see any particular issue with using places that demand cash. CC processing is a business cost, and a smaller place that wants to avoid that is not an issue. Also, some places want to avoid...umm.."government intrusion" (refer to multiple posts about renting in Italy). As long as you have done some verification, here for example, that they are reputable. Get a receipt if necessary.

As an aside, beware of paying europe costs in general in your local currency. Insist on euro only.

ATM would be the way to go, versus getting a lot of euro at home. There are two limits, the machine withdrawal limit and your bank daily limit. You can access the machine multiple times, until you reach your bank daily limit. Have the bank raise your limit, or you could even do a midnight-1, midnight+1 (time back home) withdrawals. Note that you will not have a choice to select which account, it will withdraw money from your 'primary' account.